Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Comparing large CSV Files

We generate a csv file each night with over 10,000 records,
it's a list of classes, teachers and students.

Could anyone give me some advise on a easy way of automaticaly comparing the
one csv to another, and then creating a 3rd csv with just the differences?

Thank you for any help or advise.

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since you're asking in an Excel group I guess you're thinking of using Excel
for this. But this is no specific tool in Excel that does this although you
could write a macro for it. I'd so an internet search on "compare text
files" and I imagine you'd get a lot of hits.

--
Jim
"Steve Audus, Chaucer BEC, Sheffield UK"
soft.com wrote in message
| We generate a csv file each night with over 10,000 records,
| it's a list of classes, teachers and students.
|
| Could anyone give me some advise on a easy way of automaticaly comparing
the
| one csv to another, and then creating a 3rd csv with just the differences?
|
| Thank you for any help or advise.
|
| Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JCS JCS is offline

Steve,

I think the best way to what you ask is by using MS Access. First you creat
a new database and then link the csv files (File == Get External == Link
Tables). Access will link to csv files very easily. Then create a query
that queries all 3 csv files. Now, you may have to get additional help from
the Access Users' Group. This approach should solve your problem.

John