Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding time

Hi,
I'm trying to add time entries using the SUM formula but I get blanks as the
result. My columns are about 20 cells long and contain anywhere from 1 to 20
entries at anyone time. I formatted all cells using [h]:mm:ss and it still
comes up blank.
Here's what I'm working with:

Date Total time
10/1/2008 4:36:33
10/2/2008 4:58:51
10/3/2008
10/6/2008
10/7/2008
10/8/2008
etc.

I want to sum up the "Total time" column. I used the following formula but
get nothing but a blank cell: =SUM(E217:E218)

Thanks,
Marta

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Looks like Excel is treating your entries as text.

Format the cells as numbers with two decimals. Do you get numbers in the
form 0.nnnn? If not then you do not have time in the cells.

Just to see how the sum works enter 4:36 and 3:04 in two cells of a new
worksheet and sum them up. You should get 7:40...

"Marta" wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to add time entries using the SUM formula but I get blanks as the
result. My columns are about 20 cells long and contain anywhere from 1 to 20
entries at anyone time. I formatted all cells using [h]:mm:ss and it still
comes up blank.
Here's what I'm working with:

Date Total time
10/1/2008 4:36:33
10/2/2008 4:58:51
10/3/2008
10/6/2008
10/7/2008
10/8/2008
etc.

I want to sum up the "Total time" column. I used the following formula but
get nothing but a blank cell: =SUM(E217:E218)

Thanks,
Marta

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Sheeloo,
Yes, the problem seems to be just the formatting of the cells - they're text
instead of actual time. Is there anyway to format them as time without
reentering the entries?

Thanks,
Marta

"Marta" wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to add time entries using the SUM formula but I get blanks as the
result. My columns are about 20 cells long and contain anywhere from 1 to 20
entries at anyone time. I formatted all cells using [h]:mm:ss and it still
comes up blank.
Here's what I'm working with:

Date Total time
10/1/2008 4:36:33
10/2/2008 4:58:51
10/3/2008
10/6/2008
10/7/2008
10/8/2008
etc.

I want to sum up the "Total time" column. I used the following formula but
get nothing but a blank cell: =SUM(E217:E218)

Thanks,
Marta

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello Marta,

Try this
Enter 0:00 in a cell which does not have any formatting
Edit-Copy that cell
Select the range where you have your time entries
Edit-Paste Special-Add

This should convert your entries to time...

Let me know how it goes...

-Sheeloo

"Marta" wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to add time entries using the SUM formula but I get blanks as the
result. My columns are about 20 cells long and contain anywhere from 1 to 20
entries at anyone time. I formatted all cells using [h]:mm:ss and it still
comes up blank.
Here's what I'm working with:

Date Total time