Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Combine day text and date problems

Hi,

I have the day of the week in A1 and the date in A2 and I'm trying to
combine them in A3 so it's appear as "10/1/08 Wednesday" but when I apply
the formula it comes out as (please see below in results). How can I do it
so it'll come out the way i want?

A1: Wednesday
A2: 10/1/2008

Results: Wednesday 39722

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm trying to combine them...so it's appear as "10/1/08 Wednesday"

One way:

=TEXT(A2,"m/d/yyyy dddd")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"mike" wrote in message

I have the day of the week in A1 and the date in A2 and I'm trying to
combine them in A3 so it's appear as "10/1/08 Wednesday" but when I apply
the formula it comes out as (please see below in results). How can I do
it
so it'll come out the way i want?

A1: Wednesday
A2: 10/1/2008

Results: Wednesday 39722

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=a1&text(a2,"m/d/yyyy")
or
=a1&char(10)&text(a2,"m/d/yyyy")
(with wrap text checked)

mike wrote:

Hi,

I have the day of the week in A1 and the date in A2 and I'm trying to
combine them in A3 so it's appear as "10/1/08 Wednesday" but when I apply
the formula it comes out as (please see below in results). How can I do it
so it'll come out the way i want?

A1: Wednesday
A2: 10/1/2008

Results: Wednesday 39722

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ignore

Ignore this...

A1: Wednesday
A2: 10/1/2008

Results: Wednesday 39722

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=TEXT(A2,"m/d/yyyy dddd")
so it's appear as "10/1/08 Wednesday"

Well, looks like I wasn't paying attention!

Try it like this:

=TEXT(A2,"m/d/yy dddd")

Result = 10/1/08 Wednesday

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"mike" wrote in message

I have the day of the week in A1 and the date in A2 and I'm trying to
combine them in A3 so it's appear as "10/1/08 Wednesday" but when I
apply
the formula it comes out as (please see below in results). How can I do
it
so it'll come out the way i want?

A1: Wednesday
A2: 10/1/2008

Results: Wednesday 39722

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ignore this...

OK

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Go the long way around..

=month(A2)&"/"&day(A2)&"/"&year(A2)&" "&A1

"mike" wrote:

Ignore this...

A1: Wednesday
A2: 10/1/2008