Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default open protected excel files

I have been adding worksheet to my excel file. When I created it, i never
put a password on it. After I finish, I always save my file. Then I exit.
Before the file exit, it ask me again if I want to save. I say Okay. When I
come back toopen the file later, it as for a password. How do I unlock it.
or even open it as ready only to get my file?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the file|saveAs dialog, you can click on Tools|General Options.

Erase anything you see in those password boxes.

Then save the file, close the file and reopen to test.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried to open file it ask for password. I have to click on cancel, then go
to the file tab. But the save as is grayed out. What should I do?

P.S pls give me step by step direction. I can navigate through the program,
but not comfortable with it! Thanks;-)

"Ammie Ho" wrote:

I have been adding worksheet to my excel file. When I created it, i never
put a password on it. After I finish, I always save my file. Then I exit.
Before the file exit, it ask me again if I want to save. I say Okay. When I
come back toopen the file later, it as for a password. How do I unlock it.
or even open it as ready only to get my file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you successfully open the file?

If yes:
Is the SaveAs option greyed out for other workbooks?

If no:
I'd try closing the file and closing excel and then reopen excel in safe mode.

Close excel
windows start button|Run
type:
excel /safe
then use file|open
to open the file.

Is the SaveAs option still disabled?

"Ammie Ho" wrote:

I have been adding worksheet to my excel file. When I created it, i never
put a password on it. After I finish, I always save my file. Then I exit.
Before the file exit, it ask me again if I want to save. I say Okay. When I
come back toopen the file later, it as for a password. How do I unlock it.
or even open it as ready only to get my file?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know how you applied a password to the workbook, but you'll have to
provide it to open the file. Maybe you can guess????

Or you could search google for password removers.
http://www.lostpassword.com/
is one. (I've never used it.)

One more question...

Does the prompt ask you for a password to open--or a password to edit?

If it's the password to edit, then you should be able to open the workbook and
remove the password.

"Ammie Ho" wrote:

I have been adding worksheet to my excel file. When I created it, i never
put a password on it. After I finish, I always save my file. Then I exit.
Before the file exit, it ask me again if I want to save. I say Okay. When I
come back toopen the file later, it as for a password. How do I unlock it.
or even open it as ready only to get my file?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know how it got there. it happened to me a few times. But it was a
small file. It happen when I open the file and add more data. after I close
it. when I open the file again later, it locks me out. Do you know why it
would do that?