Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default ~ ~ ~ Its All Relative???

I would like to accomplish this same task as posted 11 months ago (end files
on a CD and links to each file) . (Using Word & Excel 2007)

I know the answer is to create "relative" file paths
however..............HOW do I create relative path names? When they are on
the CD in a folder the main sheet needs to link to each file.

Word or Excel to accomplish this?

Thank you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

David Biddulph" wrote:

Is your hyperlink to a relative address, or an absolute address? If it is
a relative address, then you should be OK if all your files are being copied
onto the same CD with the same relative folder structure as you've got where
you're creating them.
--
David Biddulph

"Jattas" wrote in message
I have to archive media clippings for my company. I have a list with
hyperlinks to the source files (JPG's, PDF's, ZIP's etc.)

I have different folders for all the source files (according to date) and
want the end-user to have access to those files with a simple click in
Excel.

The end-product will be on a CD. As I don't know what their CD drive
letter
will be, how can I be certain that the link will guide them to the
corresponding file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please explain what you mean by a relative file path?

You want to copy the cell formula down a row and have the path change? If
so what should the paths look link in two adjacent cells? Give us an
example, please.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Jattas" wrote in message
I have to archive media clippings for my company. I have a list with
hyperlinks to the source files (JPG's, PDF's, ZIP's etc.)

I have different folders for all the source files (according to date) and
want the end-user to have access to those files with a simple click in
Excel.

The end-product will be on a CD. As I don't know what their CD drive
letter
will be, how can I be certain that the link will guide them to the
corresponding file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, if you read the entire post it is pretty straight forward.

1. I want to create relative (not absolute) links to other files.
2. I am not copying or using formulas.
3. I am trying to create a Table of Contents and each cell will link to a
file.
4. The files will all be burned to CD so having an absolute file path does
not work.
5. If I save the file off as a PDF it should keep the paths, if they were
relative.

Suggestions?

"Jattas" wrote in message
I have to archive media clippings for my company. I have a list with
hyperlinks to the source files (JPG's, PDF's, ZIP's etc.)

I have different folders for all the source files (according to date) and
want the end-user to have access to those files with a simple click in
Excel.

The end-product will be on a CD. As I don't know what their CD drive
letter
will be, how can I be certain that the link will guide them to the
corresponding file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi again,

You probably didn't get answers 12 months ago because people didn't
understand what you wanted back then and I still down understand.

Here's the best I can do:
First the standard command to reference a file using a variable in the
spreadsheet is to use the INDIRECT functions, the problem is that the file
must be open for this function to work. If the are this would be the form of
the formula:
B4 FileName [2-23-07.xls]
B5 Sheet Sheet1
B6 Cell $A$1

B8 =INDIRECT("'"&B4&B5&"'!"&B6)
Note there are singe quotes betweet the first pair of double quotes, there
is a singel quote before the ! in the second set of double quotes.

While the files are open the formula in B8 will return the results and the
entries in cells B4:B6 can be changes and the formula will adjust.

If this helps at all please check the Yes button.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Jattas" wrote in message
I have to archive media clippings for my company. I have a list with
hyperlinks to the source files (JPG's, PDF's, ZIP's etc.)

I have different folders for all the source files (according to date) and
want the end-user to have access to those files with a simple click in
Excel.

The end-product will be on a CD. As I don't know what their CD drive
letter
will be, how can I be certain that the link will guide them to the
corresponding file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

It just dawned on me that I once created a method for doing what I think you
want at least to a certain extent:

=CHOOSE(E1,'C:\Users\Shane\Documents\[2-23-07.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1,'C:\Users\Shane\Desktop\Classes\Pivot Tables - Class Files\[Lesson11.xls]Exercise 1'!$A$1)

This formula allows you to enter a number from 1 to 2 in cell E1 and it will
return the entry in either the first or second location. You can add as many
of these as you version of Excel supports (about 1000 characters in 2003,
about 8000 in 2007).

If this is any of this helps, please click the Yes button.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire