Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Edit shape with snap to grid on only allows movement down and righ

To reproduce this problem:

Switch on Align-Snap to Grid.
Draw a rectangle in the middle of the sheet.
Edit Shape-Convert to freeform
Edit Shape-Edit Points

Try dragging the top left point around - you can move it to the right and
below its original position but not above or to the left of it.

Adding an additional point completely throws it. The additional point snaps
to a mysterious grid all of its own!

Anyone have a workaround / fix for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

What program are you using? None of my versions of Excel have a command
called Edit Shape. Also, my versions have a command Draw, Change AutoShape
but they won't let me convert a rectangle to a freeform?

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"reb197" wrote:

To reproduce this problem:

Switch on Align-Snap to Grid.
Draw a rectangle in the middle of the sheet.
Edit Shape-Convert to freeform
Edit Shape-Edit Points

Try dragging the top left point around - you can move it to the right and
below its original position but not above or to the left of it.

Adding an additional point completely throws it. The additional point snaps
to a mysterious grid all of its own!

Anyone have a workaround / fix for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Edit shape with snap to grid on only allows movement down and

Hi,

I'm using Excel 2007.

The shape functions are under the Insert menu.

Thanks

"reb197" wrote:

To reproduce this problem:

Switch on Align-Snap to Grid.
Draw a rectangle in the middle of the sheet.
Edit Shape-Convert to freeform
Edit Shape-Edit Points

Try dragging the top left point around - you can move it to the right and
below its original position but not above or to the left of it.

Adding an additional point completely throws it. The additional point snaps
to a mysterious grid all of its own!

Anyone have a workaround / fix for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Looks like this might be a bug.
I thought a possible work around would be to turn of the Snap to grid
and use the ALT key to align to cell border. Whilst this allows you to
drag the point in any direction when you press ALT the point jumps
straight back to it's starting position.

Cheers
Andy

reb197 wrote:
To reproduce this problem:

Switch on Align-Snap to Grid.
Draw a rectangle in the middle of the sheet.
Edit Shape-Convert to freeform
Edit Shape-Edit Points

Try dragging the top left point around - you can move it to the right and
below its original position but not above or to the left of it.

Adding an additional point completely throws it. The additional point snaps
to a mysterious grid all of its own!

Anyone have a workaround / fix for this?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Actually its under Drawing Tools, Format, Insert Shapes group, Edit Shape.

Well you learn something new everyday! I haven't been doing much with shapes
in 2007 so I missed this obscurity.

This is apparently a bug.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"reb197" wrote:

To reproduce this problem:

Switch on Align-Snap to Grid.
Draw a rectangle in the middle of the sheet.
Edit Shape-Convert to freeform
Edit Shape-Edit Points

Try dragging the top left point around - you can move it to the right and
below its original position but not above or to the left of it.

Adding an additional point completely throws it. The additional point snaps
to a mysterious grid all of its own!

Anyone have a workaround / fix for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I didn't know about the alt key so thanks - that's a useful tip - but shame
the bug persists to that too.

Cheers
Rob.