Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing default fie for backup saving

I had indicated in Excel that I would like backup copies to be saved to a
file our server. Worked fine. We then decided to keep files in a more
general format rather than under "people" names. Therefore the files under
my name were disbursed throughout the server to different folders.
I started getting popup messages whenever working in an Excel file that it
was trying to find my backup file (which obviously no longer exists) and I
have to check a box to keep the message from popping up. Tried to go into
Tools/Options/Save and direct my saves to my "C" drive instead but cannot
open any of the tabs - keeps saying cannot find f:/Barb. Does anyone know
how (other than reinstalling Excel package) I can get my default changed.
The funny thing is that I had done the same thing in Word and I got right in
Word and was able to change the default save directory there. ?? I am
perplexed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Barb

ToolsOptionsSave is for location of Autorecovery files only.

These are not "backups" since they will be deleted if your workbook is saved
or closed without incident.

What do you mean by "backups"?

A true backup *.XLK file that you set under FileSave AsToolsGeneral
Options"Always create backup"?

In that case, the *.XLK is saved in the folder from which you open the
workbook.

Do you want the incremented backups like Excel 2000 and earlier gave you
with the AUTOSAVE add-in?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP