Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to insert special characters in a cell

Hi,

Please find below my data:
I have some data as mentined in current data

I would require the out put as mentioned in Required output column.
can some one help me with this?

I have 10k Data where in i need to use this double quotes.

Current Data Required Output
VP, Engineering Governance " VP, Engineering Governance "
CEO, Global Investment Banking "CEO, Global Investment Banking"

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Uma

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Save your original file under a new name before proceeding.

If necessary insert a blank column to the right of your data, and enter the
following formula changing the A1 cell address to the first cell of the data
column you need modified:

=""""&A1&""""

That is 4 double quotes after the equal sign on the left and 4 double quotes
following the ampersand on the right.

Copy the formula down to the last row of data.

Now, all the data in your formula column and press <Ctrl + C to copy it to
the clipboard. Click the first cell of your original data column and click
EDIT in the menu and select PASTE SPECIAL. In the PASTE SPECIAL dialog box
click the VALUES option button and click OK to complete the paste. You can
now delete the helper column
--
Kevin Backmann

"Uma Nandan" wrote:

Hi,

Please find below my data:
I have some data as mentined in current data

I would require the out put as mentioned in Required output column.
can some one help me with this?

I have 10k Data where in i need to use this double quotes.

Current Data Required Output
VP, Engineering Governance " VP, Engineering Governance "
CEO, Global Investment Banking "CEO, Global Investment Banking"

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Uma

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kevin/Madhu

Thanks for your inputs.
However i was trying the same thing it did not work in Ms 2007.

Tried with below formula:

=CHAR(34)&A2&CHAR(34)

I am not sure whether MS 2007 supports only this formula.

Regards,
Uma

"Uma Nandan" wrote:

Hi,

Please find below my data:
I have some data as mentined in current data

I would require the out put as mentioned in Required output column.
can some one help me with this?

I have 10k Data where in i need to use this double quotes.

Current Data Required Output
VP, Engineering Governance " VP, Engineering Governance "
CEO, Global Investment Banking "CEO, Global Investment Banking"

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Uma

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Char(34) works the same in 2007 as in previous versions.
What does "did not work" mean? What output did you get?
What happened when you tried Kevin's suggestion?

Regards,
Fred.

"Uma Nandan" wrote:

Hi,

Please find below my data:
I have some data as mentined in current data

I would require the out put as mentioned in Required output column.
can some one help me with this?

I have 10k Data where in i need to use this double quotes.

Current Data Required Output
VP, Engineering Governance " VP, Engineering Governance "
CEO, Global Investment Banking "CEO, Global Investment
Banking"

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Uma

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Well, I think you may be looking for this

=""""&IF(LEN(LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1))=4," ","")&LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1)
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Uma Nandan" wrote:

Hi,

Please find below my data:
I have some data as mentined in current data

I would require the out put as mentioned in Required output column.
can some one help me with this?

I have 10k Data where in i need to use this double quotes.

Current Data Required Output
VP, Engineering Governance " VP, Engineering Governance "
CEO, Global Investment Banking "CEO, Global Investment Banking"

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Uma

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Fred,

I did not have any out put when i tried below formula:

=""""&A2&""""

The Cell become blank instead.

However when i tried using the below mentioned formula, i got the output as
what i was looking for.

=CHAR(34)&A2&CHAR(34)

Regards,
Uma

"Uma Nandan" wrote:

Hi,

Please find below my data:
I have some data as mentined in current data

I would require the out put as mentioned in Required output column.
can some one help me with this?

I have 10k Data where in i need to use this double quotes.

Current Data Required Output
VP, Engineering Governance " VP, Engineering Governance "
CEO, Global Investment Banking "CEO, Global Investment
Banking"

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Uma

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Both
=char(34)&a2&char(34)
provide exactly the same output for me in 2007.

The problem I had with your post is that it was very confusing as to what
you were doing. It wasn't clear that you had tried Kevin's formula, and it
wasn't clear that the char(34) option worked for you.

The clearer your posts are, the more you will get out of this group.

Regards,
Fred.