Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formatting Date

I have a column which contains dates

2008-Jan-10

I have tried changing the cell format, but it has no effect. I have tried
using the Text(..,"yyyy-m-d"), but it has not effect. How can I change the
format so it is formatted like yyyy-m-d?

Thank you

QB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the column
Data|Text to columns
Fixed width (remove any lines that excel guessed)
Choose Date (ymd) on the third step)

Format the way you like.

Excel doesn't see your text "2008-Jan-10" as a date. That's why changing the
number format didn't change the displayed text.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nat Nat is offline

Thank you Dave,

I never knew this was a feature in excel and I have been writing scripts by
hand to process this kind of stuff. Thanks for the great tool.

Nat