Art Kaufman

Default How do I save a custom toolbar?

I use custom toolbars wherein I assign macros from my personal.xls. After
inserting a new button, I save my "book1.xls" and exit the program. When I
come back on, my new custom toolbar appears briefly and then changes back to
my old custom toolbar. What is happening?

Thanks.
Gord Dibben

Art

Manual customizations to Toolbars and Menus are saved in a file named *.XLB

XL2000 and 2002 *.xlb file will be in Documents and
Settings\yourname\application data\microsoft\Excel and be Excel9.xlb
or Excel10.xlb

Excel 97 in C:\Windows and named username.XLB

Excel 2003 same as 2000 and 2002 and named Excel11.XLB

Perhaps this file is going astray? If on a server, this can happen.

Also if on a server, you may not have permissions to save. See your IT guy or
Administrator.

Search for *.xlb and see what you come up with. When you get your
customization done, make a backup copy of the *.xlb file.

When you search for *.xlb you may come up with more than one. Make some
changes to your Toolbar or Menu then save and close Excel.

Check to see which *.xlb updated. That would be the one to backup.

One more thing about the *.XLB file. If it gets too large(30kb) I hear it
can start causing problems.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 14:07:01 -0800, "Art Kaufman" <Art
wrote:

I use custom toolbars wherein I assign macros from my personal.xls. After
inserting a new button, I save my "book1.xls" and exit the program. When I
come back on, my new custom toolbar appears briefly and then changes back to
my old custom toolbar. What is happening?

Thanks.

Dave Peterson

I'm betting you have another *.xlb file in your xlstart folder that's fighting
with the real toolbar file.

Close excel and do a search for *.xlb.
windows start button|Search

My "real" *.xlb file is in:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
(xl2003 and winXP)

This is the same folder that holds my XLStart folder.

Make a note of the file that contains the most current date--the one you
changed. Move all the others to a nice safe location. (You can either delete
them later or move them back.)

--

Dave Peterson
Art Kaufman

Thank you very much. It was being stored under Excel11.xlb and another file
under XLStart named excel.xlb.

Appreciate your help.