Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using wild card in IF formula

I have a list of names in Column A with values in Column B

A B

George 2
George 3
George Total 5
Adam 5
Adam 6
Adam 7
Adam Total 18

I need an IF formula in Column C that will look for cells in Column A that
have the word "total" in them. This is what I've tried and it doesnt work:

=IF(A3="*total*", B3, "")

Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("total",A3)),B3,"")

Search is not case sensitive - you can use FIND if that is important
to you.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 18, 9:54*pm, gcukarski
wrote:
I have a list of names in Column A with values in Column B

A * * * * * * * * * * * B

George * * * * * * *2
George * * * * * * *3
George Total * * *5
Adam * * * * * * * *5
Adam * * * * * * * *6
Adam * * * * * * * *7
Adam Total * * * *18

I need an IF formula in *Column C that will look for cells in Column A that
have the word "total" in them. This is what I've tried and it doesnt work:

=IF(A3="*total*", B3, "")

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("Total",E19)),"",B3)

This will not match Total but will match total