Hoosier Refiner

Default maximum number of spreadsheets in one workbook

have a workbook with 500 spreadsheets. Have one template and using
CTRL-SHIFT to copy template to new spreadsheets. Worked good till yesterday.
Now CTRL-SHIFT kicks me out with error message every time. Can "insert' new
sheets and 'copy-paste' template.
1. Am I at the 'limit' of sheets in this work book?
2. What is max number of sheets per work book?
3. Why has CTRL-SHIFT failed now?
4. Is there a 'faster-easier' way to create blank templates? Need 1,000 or
so.

Thanks!
JulieD

Hi

according to excel limits and specifications the number of worksheets in a
workbook is
"Limited by available memory (default is 3 sheets)" ... i can't even imagine
a workbook with 500 sheets let alone 1000 - "too many eggs in one basket" if
you ask me.

not sure what to suggest here, other than to see if you can split the
workbook up somehow. Also if you wanted to 'mass' generate worksheets, you
could do this via code and name them as you create them. If you'ld like
assistance doing this, please advise on the number of sheets you want and
how they are to be named, and the name of the current sheet you want to
copy.

--
Cheers
JulieD
have a workbook with 500 spreadsheets. Have one template and using
CTRL-SHIFT to copy template to new spreadsheets. Worked good till
yesterday.
Now CTRL-SHIFT kicks me out with error message every time. Can "insert'
new
sheets and 'copy-paste' template.
1. Am I at the 'limit' of sheets in this work book?
2. What is max number of sheets per work book?
3. Why has CTRL-SHIFT failed now?
4. Is there a 'faster-easier' way to create blank templates? Need 1,000
or
so.

Thanks!

RagDyeR

This *might* be the reason for your problem.

<<"
MORE INFORMATION
This problem occurs because each time you copy the same sheet a codename is
assigned to the copy, and each time the sheet is copied, that codename
becomes longer. For example, if you copy sheet1 once, the codename assigned
to the sheet is sheet11. When you copy the sheet again, it is assigned
sheet111, and so on. The codename has a maximum number of about 35
characters. When this limit is reached, Excel stops responding.
"

This is a quote from the bottom of this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/d*efault.aspx?id=177634

Even thought it mentions XL97, I've read someplace that it does also occur
in newer versions.
--

HTH,

RD