Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default using values entered in cells to determine a result in another cel

apologies in advance if I am not being clear.

I am trying to create a question/answer spreadsheet. The answers are
selected from a "yes" column and "no" column, using a random alphabetical
value (v for example).

What I need to do is use various combinations of v's in the yes and no
columns to determine an overall answer. i.e. if cells d7, d8, d9, e10, e11,
d12 contain "v", then another cell e.g. g24 would show the result "your a
winner". If the combination was to alter then the results would change
accordingly. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(COUNTIF(D7:D9,"v")+COUNTIF(E10:E11,"v")=5,"You r a winner","")

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Jenni Ellis" wrote in message
apologies in advance if I am not being clear.

I am trying to create a question/answer spreadsheet. The answers are
selected from a "yes" column and "no" column, using a random alphabetical
value (v for example).

What I need to do is use various combinations of v's in the yes and no
columns to determine an overall answer. i.e. if cells d7, d8, d9, e10,
e11,
d12 contain "v", then another cell e.g. g24 would show the result "your a
winner". If the combination was to alter then the results would change
accordingly. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you mean something like (in G24):

=IF(AND(D7="v",D8="v",D9="v",E10="v",E11="v",D12=" v"),"You win","")

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 16, 4:32*pm, Jenni Ellis
wrote:
apologies in advance if I am not being clear.

I am trying to create a question/answer spreadsheet. *The answers are
selected from a "yes" column and "no" column, using a random alphabetical
value (v for example).

What I need to do is use various combinations of v's in the yes and no
columns to determine an overall answer. *i.e. if cells d7, d8, d9, e10, e11,
d12 contain "v", then another cell e.g. g24 would show the result "your a
winner". *If the combination was to alter then the results would change
accordingly. *Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default using values entered in cells to determine a result in another

That helps, but what if i then wanted to compare two columns

i.e.
D E G
Yes No
7 q1 v
8 q2 v
9 q3 v
10
11 Result here

so, if column D shows v's in D7, D9 and column E shows a v in cell E8, then
the result I would need to return in G11, "your a winner", however if the
entries were altered in any way (i.e. D8, D9, E7 all contain v's), then the
result would contain something like "try again"

Will the countif function and adding the results help achieve this?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=IF(COUNTIF(D7:D9,"v")+COUNTIF(E10:E11,"v")=5,"You r a winner","")

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Jenni Ellis" wrote in message
apologies in advance if I am not being clear.

I am trying to create a question/answer spreadsheet. The answers are
selected from a "yes" column and "no" column, using a random alphabetical
value (v for example).

What I need to do is use various combinations of v's in the yes and no
columns to determine an overall answer. i.e. if cells d7, d8, d9, e10,
e11,
d12 contain "v", then another cell e.g. g24 would show the result "your a
winner". If the combination was to alter then the results would change
accordingly. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is the criteria here for the result, v's in column D and E, more than 1
in D and 1 in E, or what?

--
__________________________________

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=IF(COUNTIF(D7:D9,"v")+COUNTIF(E10:E11,"v")=5,"You r a winner","")

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Jenni Ellis" wrote in message
apologies in advance if I am not being clear.

I am trying to create a question/answer spreadsheet. The answers are
selected from a "yes" column and "no" column, using a random
alphabetical
value (v for example).

What I need to do is use various combinations of v's in the yes and no
columns to determine an overall answer. i.e. if cells d7, d8, d9, e10,
e11,
d12 contain "v", then another cell e.g. g24 would show the result "your
winner". If the combination was to alter then the results would change
accordingly. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If a v is returned in a row on column d then it cannot be returned i column e
for the same row (yes and no responses only to the questions).

However, there can be varying combinations of vs in columns d and e. so
there can be a number of vs in either column (but not in the same row), it is
from the results of the combination that determines the result.

I have thought of one solution and that is to provide a numerical weighting
in a new column that returns a numerical value depending on the response.
Could that be a way round it?