Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

Default How do I limit entry into only 1 box of 10 choices available

I have about 10 different options for health benefits and I want employees to
select only one out of the 10. I want them to put an X in the box to indicate
their selection. How do I prevent them entering an X into more than one box?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use validation. Select the range B1:B10. Select Data - Validation...
- Custom - add the formula =COUNTA($B$1:$B$10)=1

Obviously you can change the range to suit. You can also add a meaningful
error message and such...

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"BJ" wrote:

I have about 10 different options for health benefits and I want employees to
select only one out of the 10. I want them to put an X in the box to indicate
their selection. How do I prevent them entering an X into more than one box?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Data Validation.

Say the user must enter an X into a single cell in the block C2 thru L2.

Click on C2 and:

Data Validation... Settings Custom Formula
=COUNTA($C$2:$L$2)<2
then copy C2 to D2 thru L2
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200804

"BJ" wrote:

I have about 10 different options for health benefits and I want employees to
select only one out of the 10. I want them to put an X in the box to indicate
their selection. How do I prevent them entering an X into more than one box?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

Thank you. This works beautifully! Just one more question: Can you have two
Validation Rules working in the same cell at the same time? Can I have this
validation and also one that forces a capital X entry only?