Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formatting and IF function help

Ok. If you want you can search for my other post for help on a "treasure
hunt" excel sheet.

This is what I need now - help on doing the conditional formatting formula.
I want it to be like this.

Column A is the "questions"
Column B is where people will enter the answers.

I want it so when someone puts the answer for A1 into cell B1 (i.e. ABCD),
the next question in A2 will highlight (with the conditional formatting I
will set - it will be white text on white background and when the answer is
right in B1, the text in A2 will highlight red). Then, when the person enters
the next answer in B2, A3 will highlight and so on all the way down.

Also...minor question - is there a way to "lock" the cells until the
information in the cell above it is entered? Would that have to be in the
formula?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=AND(B1<"",B2="")

is the CF formula in cell A2 down.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Rachael" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes!! That works for the formatting, but I forgot to mention - if i have the
answers in a hidden column (i.e. J - so the answer for A1 is in J1, A2 is in
J2, etc) how do I link it to that formula? So that if the answer put in B1
matches J1, then the conditional formatting works. If the answer is not
matching J1 - nothing happens (no conditional formatting arises).

Can you help me fix the formula a little?

"Rachael" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=AND(B1<"",B2="",B1=$J1)

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Rachael" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So far as I can see, that works! I need to do more testing this weekend but
so far I'm ok. Thanks!!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=AND(B1<"",B2="",B1=$J1)

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Rachael" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Fingers crossed <g

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Rachael" wrote in message
So far as I can see, that works! I need to do more testing this weekend
but
so far I'm ok. Thanks!!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=AND(B1<"",B2="",B1=$J1)