Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Double Negative in formulas

I have recently been introduced to the double negative '--' in formulas.

Can someone explain this to me as to why it works over just anormal positive
value.

Thanks
Rick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick wrote:
I have recently been introduced to the double negative '--' in formulas.

Can someone explain this to me as to why it works over just anormal positive
value.

Thanks

Hi Rick,

This site gives a concise answer:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

You will also find the "--" construction referred to as "double unary
minus".
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To answer the OP's specific question as to why the double unary minus works
and a unary plus doesn't, try putting TRUE in A1 and FALSE in A2, then use
the formulae =-A1 in B1, =-B1 in C1, and =+A1 in D1. Copy these down to row
2 as well. You'll see that =+A1 is (not surprisingly) treated just as =A1,
so the results remain as TRUE and FALSE. A unary negative changes the
values, whereas a unary positive doesn't.
--
David Biddulph