Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default format a date to text

1) I need to convert a date to text format but when I do so it changes the
data completely. ie 9/2/2008 changes to 39639.
Is there a way to save the date as text without changing the data?

2) Another similiar question, I have a zip code that is 00969 but in excel
it shows as 969, then I format it as a 6 digit integer. When I convert it to
text, it goes back to 969. Is there anyway to keep the 00969 in text without
having to retype as there are over 1,000 cells.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Change the format of the date column to the date format you want
eg 9-Sep-2008, September 9, 2008 etc.

They will display and print as text but still be stored as numbers
represeting days from the Excle start date...

"NeSchw6G" wrote:

1) I need to convert a date to text format but when I do so it changes the
data completely. ie 9/2/2008 changes to 39639.
Is there a way to save the date as text without changing the data?

2) Another similiar question, I have a zip code that is 00969 but in excel
it shows as 969, then I format it as a 6 digit integer. When I convert it to
text, it goes back to 969. Is there anyway to keep the 00969 in text without
having to retype as there are over 1,000 cells.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this one

suppose u have date in A1 then in B1 put this formula = Text(A1,"dd/mm/
yyyy")

similary for the value 969 = Text(A2,"000000") = 000969

NeSchw6G wrote:

1) I need to convert a date to text format but when I do so it changes the
data completely. ie 9/2/2008 changes to 39639.
Is there a way to save the date as text without changing the data?

2) Another similiar question, I have a zip code that is 00969 but in excel
it shows as 969, then I format it as a 6 digit integer. *When I convert it to
text, it goes back to 969. *Is there anyway to keep the 00969 in text without
having to retype as there are over 1,000 cells.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tested with Excel 2003 and saved my file as tab delimited (txt) and got the
dates saved similar to the name column I had...

If you want to put quotes around the date then use this;
=""""&TEXT(A1,"dd/mm/yyyy") &""""