Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 2007 - Open file doesn't appear

When I open an existing file the excel page opens but all that we see is a
blue screen. In order to see the content we have to minimize the page then
maximize it again. How do I fix that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think you can.

Lots of people have posted the same problem and similar workarounds.

You could open excel, then use the Office button|open to avoid the problem,
though.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey Dave -

Just thought I would put this in the support form because it took me SOO
long to find. But it did take care of this exact issue!!!

Here is a link to the website, but below are the steps:

http://myitkb.net/83/open-excel-2007...t-windows.html

Open my computer
Click on Tools, then Folder Options
Select the File Types tab
scroll down to the XLS extension
select advanced
Select open
Select Edit€¦
in the line that says €śApplication used to perform action:€ť ,
go to the end of the line and add €ś%1€ł
(that would be %1 within double quotes) so for example it may read something
like
€śC:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE€ť /e €ś%1€ł
uncheck Use DDE
Do not make any other changes
Click ok and click OK again
(note if you go back into advanced and back into the open action, you will
notice DDE is checked again, however the DDE message is blank; this is fine.)
Now scroll down to XLSX
repeat steps 5 through 11 above
Click on Close
Now, when you click on Microsoft Excel 2007 spreadsheets, they will open
separate windows for each Microsoft Excel 2007 spreadsheet that is launched.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Not that I've seen.

Vicky wrote:

When I open an existing file the excel page opens but all that we see is a
blue screen. In order to see the content we have to minimize the page then
maximize it again. How do I fix that?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You'll be opening the files in separate instances of excel. This can make
copy|pasting more difficult.

And have you tried this with paths/filenames that include spaces? Sometimes
(always???), you'll get that "cannot find my or documents or ..." error message.

Mike wrote:

[...]

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Not that I've seen.