Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Super & Subscript

Is there ant shortcut in excel for writing super & subscript instead of going
to format cell front check the box and again uncheck it for writing
normal fronts.

Regards

Raj
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nothing elegant. There is: Select text, then press Ctrl-1 and then Alt-e
(for superscript) or Alt-b (for subscript). It's a little faster than
reaching for the mouse I think.

--
Jim
"raj74" wrote in message
| Is there ant shortcut in excel for writing super & subscript instead of
going
| to format cell front check the box and again uncheck it for writing
| normal fronts.
|
| Regards
|
| Raj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,

The only elegant way, as I have found in of my practice, is building clever
macros that can bring several distinct types of strings to proper settings of
sub- and superscripts. These types are (_ delimits sub-, * superscripts):

- chemical formulae and common expressions with numeric indices, i.e.
(NH_4_)_2_SO_4_ , REM_12_ ,

- symbols with first character normal and other characters subscripts, i.e.
µ_max_ , t_1/2_ ,

- unit expressions and general powers, i.e. kcal ft*-2* hr*-1*, R*-1.45*.

Surely, this is beyond the scope of this question.

Petr Bezucha

"raj74" wrote in message
| Is there ant shortcut in excel for writing super & subscript instead of
going
| to format cell front check the box and again uncheck it for writing
| normal fronts.
|
| Regards
|
| Raj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"raj74" wrote in message

| Is there ant shortcut in excel for writing super &
| subscript instead of

It should be possible to write a macro for chemical formulas tho' I
don't use them much in Excel. I have one that works well in Word and the
results can be cut and pasted into Excel.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland