MonteNOS

Default Macro's for figuring Price Lists?!?

I'm working on price books for the company I work for. The vendors just
email us the suggested retail price in excel format. I have to put in a
formula to come up with "Our Cost" and a formula for "Our Retail". The
problem is - The "Suggested Retail" is in a different column on each
worksheet. For example on one worksheet the "Suggested Retail" is in column
"G", and on the next worksheet it is in column "H". Can a macro be created
and automatically look for the suggested retail price column rather than
specifying column "G" as the suggested retail column. No macro's have been
created yet in this workbook. If this is too confusing, I can even email the
price list to show what I mean. I know excel is very capable of doing this,
I am open to ANY and ALL suggestions. Thanks!!!!!!
JenniM

I've never used this myself, so I can't vouch for how to do it specifically,
but it sounds like you might want to try the "Consolidate" function (in the
Data menu). You can consolidate by category, which means you'd be able to
grab the correct data no matter what column it was in.

(My reference for this is a handy dandy "Running Microsoft Excel 2000" by
Dodge and Stinson.)

Sorry I'm not more help!

JenniM

"MonteNOS" wrote:

I'm working on price books for the company I work for. The vendors just
email us the suggested retail price in excel format. I have to put in a
formula to come up with "Our Cost" and a formula for "Our Retail". The
problem is - The "Suggested Retail" is in a different column on each
worksheet. For example on one worksheet the "Suggested Retail" is in column
"G", and on the next worksheet it is in column "H". Can a macro be created
and automatically look for the suggested retail price column rather than
specifying column "G" as the suggested retail column. No macro's have been
created yet in this workbook. If this is too confusing, I can even email the
price list to show what I mean. I know excel is very capable of doing this,
I am open to ANY and ALL suggestions. Thanks!!!!!!

Otto Moehrbach

Yes, a macro can certainly find the right column. It would search for the
column heading. And if you're going to use a macro for that, the same macro
can calculate all the values you want and you wouldn't need any formulas.
You would insert the "factors" in some out-of-the-way cells and the macro
would take it from there. If you wish, send me your file or a sample of
your file, and I'll work up something for you. Include the factors you want
to use to get the "Our cost" and "Our retail" figures and where you want the
final numbers. Make up some factors if you wish. My email address is
. Remove the "nop" from this address. HTH Otto