Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup Problems

Hallo

I hope some one can help me im trying to do lookup some fields. I have two
sheets in my document in the first Sheet1 I have a column with Order numbers
in it. Now I want to lookup the Order number from Sheet1 in Sheet2 where I
have a column with the Order number as well but the problem there is that the
there could be more then one order number in a cell. My Vlookup only works
when there is only one number in the cell and they match but how can i do a
lookup in a cell where there is more then one Order number

Regards
Markus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Markus,

This is problematic, if there is more than one match. However, VLOOKUP does
support wildcards so:

If you are trying to lookup an item that contains the entry in C1, in the
range F1:F4, then

=VLOOKUP("*"&C1&"*",F1:H4,1,0)

or you can hardcode it into the formula:

=VLOOKUP("*may*",F1:H4,1,0)

where you want to find an entry in F1:F4 which includes the letters "may".

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire
Microsoft Excel MVP