Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Inputting a value and receiving a result

Could someone please help. I want to know if I can enter a "W" and receive a
value of 4 a "T" to receive a value of 2 or a value of "L" to receive a value
of 0 in Excel 2003. I would have 8 cells and would want to see a combined
value of all sells as a final result.

Example: Cell 1 = W, Cell 2 = W, Cell 3 = T, Cell 4 = L, Cell 5 = T, Cell 6
= L, Cell 7 = W, Cell 8 = W, Cell 9 = 20

Hope I explained this well enough. Thank you in advance for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 10:55:01 -0700, CSA_Coach
wrote:

Could someone please help. I want to know if I can enter a "W" and receive a
value of 4 a "T" to receive a value of 2 or a value of "L" to receive a value
of 0 in Excel 2003. I would have 8 cells and would want to see a combined
value of all sells as a final result.

Example: Cell 1 = W, Cell 2 = W, Cell 3 = T, Cell 4 = L, Cell 5 = T, Cell 6
= L, Cell 7 = W, Cell 8 = W, Cell 9 = 20

Hope I explained this well enough. Thank you in advance for your help!

Assuming Cell1 to be A1, Cell2 to be A2 etc try the following formula
in cell A9:

=4*COUNTIF(A1:A8,"W")+2*COUNTIF(A1:A8,"T")

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way:
..
=COUNTIF(A1:A8,"W")*4+COUNTIF(A1:A8,"T")*2
--
HTH,

RD

"CSA_Coach" wrote in message
Could someone please help. I want to know if I can enter a "W" and receive

value of 4 a "T" to receive a value of 2 or a value of "L" to receive a

value
of 0 in Excel 2003. I would have 8 cells and would want to see a combined
value of all sells as a final result.

Example: Cell 1 = W, Cell 2 = W, Cell 3 = T, Cell 4 = L, Cell 5 = T, Cell

6
= L, Cell 7 = W, Cell 8 = W, Cell 9 = 20

Hope I explained this well enough. Thank you in advance for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A8,{"W","T"})*{4,2})

--