Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding columns in pivot tables

Hi,
I have a grouped pivot table that looks like this:

Group1 Group2
Item 2007 2008-Q2 2007 2008-Q2
A $50 $30 $100 $55
B $25 $10 $150 $60
C $115 $65 $100 $75

For each group, I am trying to create 2 calculated columns:
2008-Q4: multiplies 2008-Q2 items by 2
%difference: 2008-Q4 to 2007 % increase or decrease
the data sould look something like this at the end:

Group1
Group2
Item 2007 2008-Q2 2008-Q4 %Diff 2007
2008-Q2
A $50 $30 $60 +20% $100
$55
B $25 $10 $20 -20% $150
$60
C $115 $65 $130 +13% $100
$75

I tried to use calculated fields and it doesn't seem to work for me.
Anyone can help
Thanks,
Karim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

go to the cell you want to put the formula in
enter = then click on the cell you want to multiply then enter *2, copy down
repeat the same for the second field

basically you have to use GETPIVOTDATA function to get values from PIVOT
table.

let me know how it goes.

"karim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. This works, but it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to
embed the new calculated fields in the pivot table.

"karim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Instead of a calculated field, use a calculated item:

Select one of the heading cells for the dates.
On the pivot table toolbar, click PivotTableFormulasCalculated Item
Type a name for the calculated item, e.g. 2008-Q4
Enter the formula, and click Add

Enter a name and formula for the second calculated item.
Click OK, to close the dialog box and see the results in the pivot table.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This doesn't work either. I get an error message "there are too many records
to complete this operation" (my data is 15,000 rows)
I am not sure what is ther right use for calculated field and calculated
item. is this explained anywhere online?
You don't have this explained in your tutorial on your web site (contextures)
Thanks,
Karim