Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Am I expecting to much form Excel 2007?

Hi. Im wondering if somebody can help me. Im putting together a budget
template in Excel 2007. So far its going pretty well. Im amazed at the
functionality of the program. But I have hit a bit of an obstacle that I
cant seem to get around. Maybe somebody will be able to give me some advice.

As a part of the budget I want to put together a list of 50 meals. Including
the ingredients and the quantities. But I want it to be like a template where
I can then change the ingredients at any time and it will edit the rest of
the spreadsheet. Now what I mean by the rest of the spreadsheet is I have
another worksheet (12 actually, one for every month) and on that worksheet I
have the shopping that I need to do for that month. But what I want to do is
be able to pick 7 meals per week by simply typing in 1-50 in the appropriate
cell. Then Excel should automatically put the name of that meal next to that
number and automatically add the ingredients amounts to the shopping list so
that I just have to make sure the price is for each ingredient is correct for
that month and it will automatically give me a total spent for the month.
Am I asking too much form this amazing program? Any assistance would be
greatly appreciated.
Yours truly,
Juan Frost

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's not totally clear what you're doing but using a formula with VLookup or
Index may get you going.

For example:

Say I have a list of names from A1 to A50. When I enter a number from 1 to
50 in cell C1 I want D1 to show the text of that item in the list. I'd
enter this formula in D1: =INDEX(A1:A50,C1)
--
Jim