Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Are there limits on Pivot Charts and Tables

Hi,

I recently developed a Pivot Chart and Table that analyses some keys
statistics for our organisation. Each week I add data to the source file
which is an external *.csv file. The data is averaged by item by hour...we
now have over 3 months of data and around 1.4 million recoreds within the
*.csv file being processed.

In the most recent week I added some further records and when loading the
updated source file it returns the excel message that the data cannot be
retreived as Excel does not have sufficient resources....choose less data.

I have seen other posts about memory restrictions on Excel limiting the
amount of data that can be utilised in a pivot table or chart..

At our organisation the Excel version is 2002..

Is there any alternatives to this problem that do not involve summarising
the data further and losing information ?

Would converting the *.csv file into an external database resolve the problem

Thanks for any assistance or advice
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

At 1.4Million records you have probably rung the bell on the memory. Your
best bet is to use something like Analysis Services in SQL server or Essbase.
You can do Cross Tab queries in Access and such but they are not nearly as
flexible.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson