Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default can i create a reminder to pop up in excel 5 days before?

I HAVE A SPREADSHEET THAT I NEED TO CREATE A REMINDER WHEN SOMETHING HAS A
DUE DATE. CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE IN EXCEL? HELP PLEASE.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In future please don't SHOUT !!

Try something like this:

=IF(due_date+5=TODAY(),"Reminder","")

Format the cell with Bold and Red, for example, to make it stand out.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 2, 4:48*pm, JCORTEZ wrote:
I HAVE A SPREADSHEET THAT I NEED TO CREATE A REMINDER WHEN SOMETHING HAS A
DUE DATE. CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE IN EXCEL? HELP PLEASE.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

On Sep 2, 10:48*am, JCORTEZ wrote:
I HAVE A SPREADSHEET THAT I NEED TO CREATE A REMINDER WHEN SOMETHING HAS A
DUE DATE. CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE IN EXCEL? HELP PLEASE.

You can create a formula in the cell to be monitored that shows the
original date, but that will change to ALERT a set number of days
prior to the current date. For instance, if your target date is Sept
9 and you want to alert on Sept 4 your formula to type in the
monitored cell would be:
=IF(DATEVALUE("9/9/08")-5TODAY(),"9/9/08","ALERT 9/9/08").

Using the Format menu/ Conditional Format you can format that cell to
change color of font or background at the same time it changes to
ALERT., The CF is: "cell value" "is equal to" ="ALERT 9/9/08"

You type the date into the formula at three places and the CF
formula. The cell will read 9/9/08. in regurlar font color. On
September 4 the cell will change to ALERT 9/9/08 in red type, or
whatever font or background color you want.

ed
=

n the cell to be monitored (I presume it has a date in it) use Format/
Conditional Formating with "cell value" "greater than" =TODAY()-5.
When "today" is less than 5 days away from the monitored cell's date
either the font or bakground will change to your selected color. You
can also put the foloiwng formula in the monitored cell (instead of
the date 9/1/2008) =IF(9/1/2008 +5<TODAY(),9/1/2008,"ALERT-9/1/2008")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KJ KJ is offline

Hi Ed
I've tried to adapt the formula you advised below, but I don't seem to be
having much luck, so wondered whether you could help me too?

I need to create a reminder to pop up on Contract dates in Excel. This
reminder needs to show up 3 months before the Contract date in due?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Kerith

"ed" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use the Workbook_Open Event to check specific ranges for the
value you want, then display a message box. Sample code:

http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/vba-intersect.htm
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Events.aspx

But you'll get the macro warning very time you open the workbook
(unless you self-sign the code).

If you have Outlook, try something like this:

http://www.codeforexcelandoutlook.co...rs-in-outlook/

In my opinion, much better suited to the "reminder" task than Excel.

--JP