Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default PivotTable question

I have a PivotTable with a list of projects and the monthly cost for each
project. At the bottom of the table is several rows of non-project costs.

For example:
Project ID Jan Feb March etc. SubTotals
Project1 £50 £60
Project2 £60 £70
Project3 £70 £80
Cost 01 £20 £30 £40
Cost 02 £30 £40 £20
Cost 03 £40 £20 £20

With projects starting and ending in different periods, I want spread the
sum of the non-project cost across the projects that are active for each
month.

So with my example, the total non-project cost for Jan is £90 and active
projects are Project 1 and 3. Project 1 Value would increase to £95 and
Project 3 value to £115.

I have a little experience in using PivotTables and imagine it could be
done, can you please advise, or help me to set it up?

Kind regards
Dylan Dawson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dylan wrote:
[...]

Hello Dylan,

I am not sure a pivot table is the best place to do this. The following
works in a regular worksheet.

I placed your sample data at A1:D7 and copied the row and column headers
(just the Project rows) to F1:I4

Then I placed this formula in G2, which can be filled right and down:
=IF(B2,B2+SUM(B$5:B$7)/COUNT(B$2:B$4),"")

Result:
Project ID Jan Feb March
Project1 95 90
Project2 90 150
Project3 115 110

Alternatively, this formula returns a weighted cost distribution, in
case you want to charge projects proportionately according to the
project cost:
=IF(B2,B2+(B2/SUM(B$2:B$4))*SUM(B$5:B$7),"")

Result:
Project ID Jan Feb March
Project1 87.5 87
Project2 87 150