Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Populating Cells

In a downloaded excel report, the County name is in cell B1 with the list of
cities in C5 through C how ever many. Then another County name appears a few
rows after that to start another batch of cities. Question is, I need the
County name to apear in the cell before the city name cell. I do not want to
cut and paste into it either. I am looking for an automated formula or
something.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Basically the excel report is in cascading bullet format. I would like to
have all the information on each record line.
current example:

Cook County
Chicago
LaGrange

looking for:

Cook County Chicago
Cook County LaGrange

"rciolkosz" wrote:

In a downloaded excel report, the County name is in cell B1 with the list of
cities in C5 through C how ever many. Then another County name appears a few
rows after that to start another batch of cities. Question is, I need the
County name to apear in the cell before the city name cell. I do not want to
cut and paste into it either. I am looking for an automated formula or
something.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert a new column C, so that your cities are now in D with your counties
remaining in B.
In C2, use =IF(D2="","",IF(B1<"",B1,C1)), and copy down.
--
David Biddulph