Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text to large for Excel cell

Doing a qualitative study and need to document the interview questions - I
require having a lot of text information in certain cells. At the moment I
seem to be stopped at about 250 words or 2500 characters. I need it double
this size at least in some cases.

I have tried "autofit" columns, "autofit" rows and neither of those work. Is
there a way around this? Or do I have to move to Access to work with this
data?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is there any reason you do this in Excel as opposed to say Word?

Anyway, if you use alt + enter ever so often you can bypass the character
limitations in Excel

which you can find in help under specifications, of course not all text will
be visible in the cell itself

Peo Sjoblom

"Sandi" wrote in message
Doing a qualitative study and need to document the interview questions - I
require having a lot of text information in certain cells. At the moment
seem to be stopped at about 250 words or 2500 characters. I need it double
this size at least in some cases.

I have tried "autofit" columns, "autofit" rows and neither of those work.
Is
there a way around this? Or do I have to move to Access to work with this
data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have to do lots of queries on the different cell contents and different
sorts. Effective leader behaviour by
union/management/male/female/plant/ho/field/type/etc etc etc

"Sandi" wrote in message
Doing a qualitative study and need to document the interview questions - I
require having a lot of text information in certain cells. At the moment
seem to be stopped at about 250 words or 2500 characters. I need it double
this size at least in some cases.

I have tried "autofit" columns, "autofit" rows and neither of those work.
Is
there a way around this? Or do I have to move to Access to work with this
data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have written an addin which lets you work with long text strings in
Excel cells. You can download it from the Excel User group page
http://excelusergroup.org/media/19/default.aspx

Peter Grebenik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you look up specification in help?

Here's from help

"Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a
cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar"

You already said you had 2500 characters.

I would suggest that you download and install Peter's add-in to see if it
will work for you.

Peo Sjoblom