Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I disable a SORT

I opened up a previous Excel doc and it was inexplicably sorted by the data
in one particular column. I don't want any sorting at all on the document,
yet when I go to Data sort none, it returns an error message saying that
the field cannot be none. How can I take OFF the sorting function on this
document so it appears in the original order it was created in?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jeff,

Excel doesn't store a sorting history in its saved files. Whilst you can undo a sort on a while while its open, once that sort has
been saved and the file closed, there's no going back.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Jeff_in_SC" wrote in message ...
I opened up a previous Excel doc and it was inexplicably sorted by the data
in one particular column. I don't want any sorting at all on the document,
yet when I go to Data sort none, it returns an error message saying that
the field cannot be none. How can I take OFF the sorting function on this
document so it appears in the original order it was created in?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No idea how it got sorted to begin with. Guess I can go to the list of names
and reverse the order to surname, given name so I can get the orginal order
back. Thanks for your help. I'm beginning to hate Excel.

"Jeff_in_SC" wrote in message ...
I opened up a previous Excel doc and it was inexplicably sorted by the data
in one particular column. I don't want any sorting at all on the document,
yet when I go to Data sort none, it returns an error message saying that
the field cannot be none. How can I take OFF the sorting function on this
document so it appears in the original order it was created in?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm going out on a limb here and state "Excel does not inexplicably sort
data on its own"

No point in hating Excel for this reason.................there may be other
reasons but not this one.

Someone had a hand in doing the sort and saving the workbook in that sorted
state.

Do you have any event code in the workbook that might have done the sort?

If so, it may do it again.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP