Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Limiting raw score entries and possible pop up message alert?

I originally posted this in the middle of a previous post of mine. Wasn't
sure if it would get lost from view given that it was inside an all ready
resolved problem. Thus, I am reposting it. Sorry for being
repetitive.............

I have a spreadsheet and I'd like to do is to limit raw score data entry into
certain cells. (J4:J5000-S4:S5000, and Z4:Z5000-AI4:AI5000) that should allow
only specific raw scores.

We developed a rating scale that only allows for scores of 5, 10 or 15 to be
entered (per how we set up the rating evaluation sheet). Unfortunately, some
of our secretarial staff type fast and makes errors.

When checking their data entry, I often find scores of 0, 4, 16, etc. If
there is a way (possibly using vba I suspect) to only allow scores of 5, 10,
or 5 to be entered into columns J, S, Z, and AI this would prevent accidental
entry of numbers that shouldn't be input.

I had this idea of a pop up message alert advising the data entry person
that only scores of 5, 10, and 15 can be input and avoiding all the
calculation errors we often get. Any suggestions?

Thanks much Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can do this with Data Validation. No VBA is requred.

In Excel 2003, Select the cells requring the validation and go to
Data - Validation
Allow List
Enter 5,10,15 (or whatever you allow)

You can enter an error message as well.