Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using index and match

Hi all-
Im, trying to use an index and match function to return text from cells on
anther sheet. =INDEX(Formulas!$J$3:$K$6,MATCH(AM7,Formulas!$J$3: $K$6)) The
formula looks for a value that matches AM7, it is suppose to return text from
cells on another page shown below. I keep getting the dreaded #n/a. I have
the text organized in cells

Clmn J Clmn K

Row 3 4.0 This was out-standing
Row 4 2.8 Pretty good but you need ot work on
Row 5 1.5 You really need to focus on this more
0.0 No comment here

Anyhelp would be very appraciated
Cheers
George
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this...

=INDEX(Formulas!$K$3:$K$6,MATCH(AM7,Formulas!$J$3: $J$6, false))
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"george" wrote:

Hi all-
Im, trying to use an index and match function to return text from cells on
anther sheet. =INDEX(Formulas!$J$3:$K$6,MATCH(AM7,Formulas!$J$3: $K$6)) The
formula looks for a value that matches AM7, it is suppose to return text from
cells on another page shown below. I keep getting the dreaded #n/a. I have
the text organized in cells

Clmn J Clmn K

Row 3 4.0 This was out-standing
Row 4 2.8 Pretty good but you need ot work on
Row 5 1.5 You really need to focus on this more
0.0 No comment here

Anyhelp would be very appraciated
Cheers
George

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That formula that I posted looks for an exact match. if you are not dealing
with exact matches then...

=INDEX(Formulas!$K$3:$K$6,MATCH(AM7,Formulas!$J$3: $J$6, -1))

I used -1 becuase the order is descending. From the Help on Match

If match_type is -1, MATCH finds the smallest value that is greater than or
equal to lookup_value. Lookup_array must be placed in descending order: TRUE,
FALSE, Z-A, ...2, 1, 0, -1, -2, ..., and so on.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"george" wrote:

Hi all-
Im, trying to use an index and match function to return text from cells on
anther sheet. =INDEX(Formulas!$J$3:$K$6,MATCH(AM7,Formulas!$J$3: $K$6)) The
formula looks for a value that matches AM7, it is suppose to return text from
cells on another page shown below. I keep getting the dreaded #n/a. I have
the text organized in cells

Clmn J Clmn K

Row 3 4.0 This was out-standing
Row 4 2.8 Pretty good but you need ot work on
Row 5 1.5 You really need to focus on this more
0.0 No comment here

Anyhelp would be very appraciated
Cheers
George

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jim-
Thanks taking time to help me here. However, Im still getting the N/A where
the text should show up. I wanted the formula to look for the exact match
€œ4.0,2.8,€¦€ that sort of thing, then return the text corresponding to the
value next to it that matches the value in the first cell €œAM7€. So it looks
at cell AM7 then goes and finds the text in cells €œFormulas!$K$3:$K$6€,next
to the value in AM7.

Is this in the best way to do this?

"george" wrote:

Hi all-
Im, trying to use an index and match function to return text from cells on
anther sheet. =INDEX(Formulas!$J$3:$K$6,MATCH(AM7,Formulas!$J$3: $K$6)) The
formula looks for a value that matches AM7, it is suppose to return text from
cells on another page shown below. I keep getting the dreaded #n/a. I have
the text organized in cells

Clmn J Clmn K

Row 3 4.0 This was out-standing
Row 4 2.8 Pretty good but you need ot work on
Row 5 1.5 You really need to focus on this more
0.0 No comment here

Anyhelp would be very appraciated
Cheers
George

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jim €“
Never mind, it works now, I found that one of the reverence cells was nt set
to display decimals (it was rounding).

Thanks
You for your help here !

Cheers