Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculating time difference

I can't seem to find it in the help. How do I calculate time difference? We
have a network in/out board. I get a report of when I clocked in and out for
the day. I want to paste this into Excel and have it calculate how much time
I worked. It comes in as:

A1 07:38 AM
A2 10:55 AM
A3 12:01 AM
A4 16:43 PM

I want it to calculate A2-A1 and A4-A3. Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the calculations that you indicated (A2-A1) but format the cell using the
following Time format:

[h]:mm:ss

Select the result cell, click FORMAT in the menu and select CELLS. In the
FORMAT CELLS dialog box locate the CUSTOM category in the category pane and
then locate the above format in the TYPE: list box. You can delete the ':ss'
if you do not want to see the seconds displayed.
--
Kevin Backmann

"jbly" wrote:

I can't seem to find it in the help. How do I calculate time difference? We
have a network in/out board. I get a report of when I clocked in and out for
the day. I want to paste this into Excel and have it calculate how much time
I worked. It comes in as:

A1 07:38 AM
A2 10:55 AM
A3 12:01 AM
A4 16:43 PM

I want it to calculate A2-A1 and A4-A3. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is there a way to calculate without having to go through and take out the AM
and PM? It's no difference that what I'm doing now. I enter the data in as 24
hour format manually. If I delete the PM, then it doesn't know to add 12
hours to the data. I want to have it convert that 4:43 PM to a 24 hour format
automatically.

Jason

"jbly" wrote:

I can't seem to find it in the help. How do I calculate time difference? We
have a network in/out board. I get a report of when I clocked in and out for
the day. I want to paste this into Excel and have it calculate how much time
I worked. It comes in as:

A1 07:38 AM
A2 10:55 AM
A3 12:01 AM
A4 16:43 PM

I want it to calculate A2-A1 and A4-A3. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format the cell you enter the time into as a 24 hour clock format. You can
enter 4:33 pm and the format will modify the display to 16:33:00, but you
cannot enter 16:33 pm as it's not a valid time entry.
--
Kevin Backmann

"jbly" wrote:

I can't seem to find it in the help. How do I calculate time difference? We
have a network in/out board. I get a report of when I clocked in and out for
the day. I want to paste this into Excel and have it calculate how much time
I worked. It comes in as:

A1 07:38 AM
A2 10:55 AM
A3 12:01 AM
A4 16:43 PM

I want it to calculate A2-A1 and A4-A3. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why is that when I cut and paste the times from the report, it doesn't seem
to want to take the cell format? I did format the cells. I tried to cut/paste
into the cell and it didn't work, but if I typed it in, it converted it. This
is very frustrating. I've also been looking to see if maybe there is a
function that will take the first five characters on the left of the cell or
possilby even deleting the right three character in the cell to isolate the
time without the AM/PM suffix.

Jason

"jbly" wrote:

I can't seem to find it in the help. How do I calculate time difference? We
have a network in/out board. I get a report of when I clocked in and out for
the day. I want to paste this into Excel and have it calculate how much time
I worked. It comes in as:

A1 07:38 AM
A2 10:55 AM
A3 12:01 AM
A4 16:43 PM

I want it to calculate A2-A1 and A4-A3. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is your report a text file? If so you can use the import wizard in Excel to
import the data into a workbook.

Click FILE in the menu and select OPEN. In the OPEN FILE dialog box change
the FILES OF TYPE to text files, locate the report file and click OPEN. This
automatically activates the import wizard where you can tell Excel how to
parse the data in the report.

as for extracting text you can reference the following functions in HELP:

LEFT
RIGHT
MID
--
Kevin Backmann

"jbly" wrote:

I can't seem to find it in the help. How do I calculate time difference? We
have a network in/out board. I get a report of when I clocked in and out for
the day. I want to paste this into Excel and have it calculate how much time
I worked. It comes in as:

A1 07:38 AM
A2 10:55 AM
A3 12:01 AM
A4 16:43 PM

I want it to calculate A2-A1 and A4-A3. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why +24? Wouldn't +1 be enough? Wouldn't +24 give you an answer 552 hours
beyond what you wanted? (Though you may be fooled as to what answer you've
got if you format as h:mm rather than as [h]:mm, and therefore don't display
the number of whole days.)

Another way is =MOD(A2-A1,1)
--
David Biddulph

"Warren Easton" wrote in message
Try

=IF(A2A1,(A2-A1),(A2+24)-A1)
--
Regards
Warren

"jbly" wrote:

I can't seem to find it in the help. How do I calculate time difference?
We
have a network in/out board. I get a report of when I clocked in and out
for
the day. I want to paste this into Excel and have it calculate how much
time
I worked. It comes in as:

A1 07:38 AM
A2 10:55 AM
A3 12:01 AM
A4 16:43 PM

I want it to calculate A2-A1 and A4-A3. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David,

This formula was for day shifts and night shifts the +24 was for going
through 12 midnight, the +1 may also work but I used the +24, it was a while
ago.
--
Regards
Warren

"jbly" wrote:

I can't seem to find it in the help. How do I calculate time difference?
We
have a network in/out board. I get a report of when I clocked in and out
for
the day. I want to paste this into Excel and have it calculate how much
time
I worked. It comes in as:

A1 07:38 AM
A2 10:55 AM
A3 12:01 AM
A4 16:43 PM

I want it to calculate A2-A1 and A4-A3. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to remember that Excel stores times in days, not hours, so +1 adds
1 day to cope with going through midnight, +24 would add 24 days, and
therefore would give you an answer in error by 552 hours.