Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculating time difference

You need to remember that Excel stores times in days, not hours, so +1 adds
1 day to cope with going through midnight, +24 would add 24 days, and
therefore would give you an answer in error by 552 hours.
--
David Biddulph

"Warren Easton" wrote in message
Hi David,

This formula was for day shifts and night shifts the +24 was for going
through 12 midnight, the +1 may also work but I used the +24, it was a
while
ago.
--
Regards
Warren

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Why +24? Wouldn't +1 be enough? Wouldn't +24 give you an answer 552
hours
beyond what you wanted? (Though you may be fooled as to what answer
you've
got if you format as h:mm rather than as [h]:mm, and therefore don't
display
the number of whole days.)

Another way is =MOD(A2-A1,1)
--
David Biddulph

"Warren Easton" wrote in message
Try

=IF(A2A1,(A2-A1),(A2+24)-A1)
--
Regards
Warren

"jbly" wrote:

I can't seem to find it in the help. How do I calculate time
difference?
We
have a network in/out board. I get a report of when I clocked in and
out
for
the day. I want to paste this into Excel and have it calculate how
much
time
I worked. It comes in as:

A1 07:38 AM
A2 10:55 AM
A3 12:01 AM
A4 16:43 PM

I want it to calculate A2-A1 and A4-A3. Please help