Scott

Default Open Office

I have several OpenOffice.org files that I would like to open in Excel since
we no longer use OpenOffice. Is there a converter somewhere?
Harald Staff

Hi

The converter is OpenOffice. Choose "excel" as filetype in its SaveAs menu.
As far as I know there is no easier way, but if you know how to program
OpenOffice macros then it should be pretty painless.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Scott" skrev i melding
I have several OpenOffice.org files that I would like to open in Excel

since
we no longer use OpenOffice. Is there a converter somewhere?

Scott

Thanks but the problem is that all of the Open Office applications have been
removed from all our computers as part of our Microsoft Agreement. While it
may be possible to reinstall Open Office, that doesn't solve the problem.
Doing that means that, Open Office must stay installed until everyone is sure
they have converted all their Open Office documents.

I need a way for Excel to open *.sxc files directly.

"Harald Staff" wrote:

Hi

The converter is OpenOffice. Choose "excel" as filetype in its SaveAs menu.
As far as I know there is no easier way, but if you know how to program
OpenOffice macros then it should be pretty painless.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Scott" skrev i melding
I have several OpenOffice.org files that I would like to open in Excel

since
we no longer use OpenOffice. Is there a converter somewhere?

Harald Staff

Thing is: OpenOffice will work with Excel.
Excel will not work with OpenOffice.
Excel will not even work with Microsoft Works, go figure.

So yes, OpenOffice is needed, either on every single system or on a
"converting service" computer dedicated for this. What you need does not
exist as far as I know, and someone should have considered before this
brutal change of platform. (IT department engineers, I assume ? Special
characters here)

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Scott" skrev i melding

"Harald Staff" wrote:

Hi

The converter is OpenOffice. Choose "excel" as filetype in its SaveAs

menu.
As far as I know there is no easier way, but if you know how to program
OpenOffice macros then it should be pretty painless.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Scott" skrev i melding
I have several OpenOffice.org files that I would like to open in Excel

since
we no longer use OpenOffice. Is there a converter somewhere?

Harlan Grove

Scott wrote...
I need a way for Excel to open *.sxc files directly.

Then wait until Microsoft supports that file format. There's a remote
chance your business might survive that long.

If you're contracturally barred from reinstalling OpenOffice, then
maybe you could install Gnumeric. It's only in beta for Windows, but
it's fairly stable. You can download the installed from

http://www.gnome.org/~jody/gnumeric/...-1.4.3-rc1.exe

But OpenOffice and Gnumeric are your **ONLY** alternatives under
Windows. Maybe KSpread, Xess and NeXS (the other serious Unix/Linux
spreadsheets) can also read .sxc files, dunno.

Microsoft doesn't support any file formats from any competitors that
appeared after they released Excel 97. If you want to use Excel and
only Excel, then you get to recreate all these workbooks from hardcopy,
assuming you have printouts of each of them, or from scratch. And, YES,
you do need to have at least one copy of either OpenOffice or Gnumeric
installed on one of your PCs until you're certain *ALL* .sxc files have
been converted to .xls files. Whether you dislike this state of affairs
is irrelevant.

Amedee Van Gasse

Harald Staff shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

"Harald Staff" wrote:

Hi

The converter is OpenOffice. Choose "excel" as filetype in its
SaveAs

menu.
As far as I know there is no easier way, but if you know how to
program OpenOffice macros then it should be pretty painless.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Scott" skrev i melding
I have several OpenOffice.org files that I would like to open
in Excel
since
we no longer use OpenOffice. Is there a converter somewhere?

I stumbled upon this thread. My first reaction when reading this:
<unspeakable characters, indeed Harald. This is what is generally
known as vendor lock-in.
ObLeftpondianBashing: I'm so lucky I live in Rightpondia, because only
Merkians would let themselves be fouled[0] this way.

[0] intentional spelling error

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html