Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default date format keeps changing

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to write journal entries for an accounting class. I put the date
in the following format: May 15. I then hit tab to go to the next cell and
Excel changes the date format to: 15-May. How do I get it to stop that?

Carrie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the cells that the dates will be entered in and then click FORMAT on
the menu and select CELLS.

Click the NUMBER tab and in the CATEGORY column scroll down to the bottom of
the list and select CUSTOM.

To the right of the CATEGORY column is the TYPE field. Enter the following
format mask in the text box below TYPE:

mmmm d

Click OK and press <ENTER to complete the process.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Carrie" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to write journal entries for an accounting class. I put the date
in the following format: May 15. I then hit tab to go to the next cell and
Excel changes the date format to: 15-May. How do I get it to stop that?

Carrie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly now. It was doing just fine the first
20 times and then it just started changing itself. Do you have any idea why
it would start changing itself in the middle of the page?

"Carrie" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to write journal entries for an accounting class. I put the date
in the following format: May 15. I then hit tab to go to the next cell and
Excel changes the date format to: 15-May. How do I get it to stop that?

Carrie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure why it did that. Did you press the space bar before entering
May 15? If you did Excel would treat your entry as a text entry and not as a
date entry.

The advantage of using preformatted cells is that any valid date entry will
be formatted the the same way, but I don't know why your first 20 dates
displayed properly and the following dates did not.

--
Kevin Backmann