Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Default settings when opening a text file with Excel

I need to know how to change a default setting. When I open a text file
(comma seperated) on my computer, I right click on it then choose "open with
Excel." The result is a fixed width, one column data block. When I try this
method on other machines, I get a poorly parsed mess because the default is
set differently. I have a collection of macros that I want to share with
other users in my office, but they can't use the macros because their data
does not have the same format. Since everyone is using the same software, it
seems that the default can be changed, but I can't find the setting and I
can't find any reference to it in the online help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you open Excel first then the *.txt file from within Excel you will get
the Text Import Wizard pop-up where you can parse the text as you wish.

Opening from "Open With" will not give you the Text Wizard

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP