Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I prevent a text to columns while opening a csv file in Excel

I have read many solutions to the issue that excel sometimes applies the text
to columns feature to text pasted into an Excel worksheet. The solution is to
do a Text To Col and unselect all the options first.

I have the same problem but now while opening a text file from the Windows
Explorer using the "open with Excel" functionality.

The file is indeed opened in excel but Text To Columns (TtC) kicks in with
the TAB selected.
When I unselect the option in TtC and re-open the file in excel. A new
instance of Excel is started that again uses the TtC feature with TAB
selected.

I tried everything after deselecting the options. Closing the file, closing
excel, keeping it open and force a new instance with readonly. But it keeps
TtC-ing....

Anyone anay ideas?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By the way.

There is a way to succesfully import the file into excel. That is opening the
file in notepad and pasting it into excel. But that is a way I'd rather
prefer to NOT do.

M.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If this is something you'll be doing regularly, you can set it up as an import, rather than
a File - Open. You'll specify how you want it imported, and when you refresh the data
range, it will remember how you want it imported. Data - Import External Data - Import
data. Change the file type to yours (txt, csv, whatever), navigate to the folder and select
the file. Follow the import prompts. Now your worksheet is a Data Range. Next time you
want to read the file, right-click in it, and Refresh.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Michiel via OfficeKB.com" <u40062@uwe wrote in message news:87b0dd3533aa2@uwe...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Earl,

Yest I use import now as a workaround.
The problem is I need to open several files from different locations and
different layout.
Right cliock and open with is in that case the fasted way.

M.