Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Get rid off double apostrophe

From downloads I get a double apostrophe - impeding vlookups. I have tried
to do a find and replace, doing a find and replacing for anything else. It
will not work. I tried the right click tab editing and then it asks me to
save the new file. The new title will not take and I cannot close the file.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I call up the Replace dialog box (Edit/Replace on menu bar or key in
Ctrl+H), put a double apostrophe in the "Find what" field and leave the
"Replace with" field blank, and then click the "Replace All" button, it
works fine for me.

Rick

"Marina Tuttle" wrote in message
From downloads I get a double apostrophe - impeding vlookups. I have
tried
to do a find and replace, doing a find and replacing for anything else.
It
will not work. I tried the right click tab editing and then it asks me to
save the new file. The new title will not take and I cannot close the
file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is a double apostrophe? Is it quotation marks, if so that is not really
the same as 2 apostrophes?

Peo Sjoblom

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
When I call up the Replace dialog box (Edit/Replace on menu bar or key in
Ctrl+H), put a double apostrophe in the "Find what" field and leave the
"Replace with" field blank, and then click the "Replace All" button, it
works fine for me.

Rick

"Marina Tuttle" wrote in message
From downloads I get a double apostrophe - impeding vlookups. I have
tried
to do a find and replace, doing a find and replacing for anything else.
It
will not work. I tried the right click tab editing and then it asks me
save the new file. The new title will not take and I cannot close the
file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hmm! I assumed the OP meant two apostrophes next to each other... it didn't
occur to me that she might have meant what everyone else calls a quote mark
when she said that. I would note, though, that the method I posted will work
for a quote mark as well as for two apostrophes next to each other.

Rick

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
What is a double apostrophe? Is it quotation marks, if so that is not
really the same as 2 apostrophes?

Peo Sjoblom

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
When I call up the Replace dialog box (Edit/Replace on menu bar or key in
Ctrl+H), put a double apostrophe in the "Find what" field and leave the
"Replace with" field blank, and then click the "Replace All" button, it
works fine for me.

Rick

"Marina Tuttle" wrote in message
From downloads I get a double apostrophe - impeding vlookups. I have
tried
to do a find and replace, doing a find and replacing for anything else.
It
will not work. I tried the right click tab editing and then it asks me
save the new file. The new title will not take and I cannot close the
file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe if the data is imported it can be hard to get rid of the
apostrophe(s)/quotation mark(s) unless one uses
VBA or this method posted by Dave Peterson

Select the range (ctrl-a a few times to select all the cells)
Edit|Replace
what: (leave blank)
with: $$$$$
replace all

Immediately followed by:
Edit|Replace
what: $$$$$
with: (leave blank)
replace all

Maybe it will work for the OP's characters as well

[...]

From downloads I get a double apostrophe - impeding vlookups. I have
tried
to do a find and replace, doing a find and replacing for anything else.
It
will not work. I tried the right click tab editing and then it asks me
save the new file. The new title will not take and I cannot close the
file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rick, I said apostrophe because it is a double apostrophe. How do I know?
If you hit backspace once, I keep one left. If I hit backspace twice, I get
totally rid off it. If it were a quote mark, you get rid of it in one swipe.

I will try your method and Peo's - thanks guys

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

[...]

From downloads I get a double apostrophe - impeding vlookups. I have
tried
to do a find and replace, doing a find and replacing for anything else.
It
will not work. I tried the right click tab editing and then it asks me
save the new file. The new title will not take and I cannot close the
file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to add to Peo's response.

This would get rid of the apostrophe (prefixcharacter) for those cells that look
empty--but not the cells that actually have '' in them.

But that's just another edit|replace
Select the cells to fix
edit|replace
what: '
with: (leave blank)
replace all

Then do the edit|replace that Peo suggested.

Peo Sjoblom wrote:

[...]

From downloads I get a double apostrophe - impeding vlookups. I have
tried

--