Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP

We have an error (several, in fact) in a VLOOKUP table that we've used
successfully for a while. The formula calls for a lookup of an SKU in a
worksheet within the same file. It works in most instances and then, in
some, it won't recognize a value in the lookup field.

I've checked the formulas, re-typed them, checked the field being looked-up,
and I can't figure it out. The source worksheet is a download from another
database but I checked the format of the cells that don't respond to lookup
and there doesn't seem to be a difference.

The formula is:

=VLOOKUP('Satori - Harmony - Sweaters'!K165,inventory,9,FALSE), where "K165"
is the cell adjacent to the left.

Any thoughts on a solution or even how I might better articulate the question?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I checked the format of the cells that don't respond to lookup

You need to match up the actual data type of the data in the cells -
do your downloaded lookup values contain only numbers?

Cliff Edwards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP: Thanks, found the problem

Ward, thanks.

Found the problem. What actually happened was that the person who built the
table created a range in the source table. New inventory additions simply
pushed beyond the named range. Once I extended the range, all was well.

thanks again.

"kofigan" wrote:

We have an error (several, in fact) in a VLOOKUP table that we've used
successfully for a while. The formula calls for a lookup of an SKU in a
worksheet within the same file. It works in most instances and then, in
some, it won't recognize a value in the lookup field.

I've checked the formulas, re-typed them, checked the field being looked-up,
and I can't figure it out. The source worksheet is a download from another
database but I checked the format of the cells that don't respond to lookup
and there doesn't seem to be a difference.

The formula is:

=VLOOKUP('Satori - Harmony - Sweaters'!K165,inventory,9,FALSE), where "K165"
is the cell adjacent to the left.

Any thoughts on a solution or even how I might better articulate the question?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Ward. Problem wound up being that new entries pushed beyond a named
range in the source table that I hadn't seen earlier. once I extended the
range, all was well.

thanks again.