Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default EXCEL to MXL

hi guys,
i have spent several hours trialing 5 programms that supposedly can conver
MS EXCEL to MXL... those that appear to do so save it as some other extension
eg .st
another supports dozens of formats but will not open a standard excel file
"file type not supported"

can someone please direct me to a trial version that actually saves as
..MXL

I don't have issues paying for something that actually does what it says on
the tin..

thanks
Malcolm
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you just want the extension .mxl, or do you need the file converted
to another format? If you just want the extension just enclose your
filename in double quotes in the save as dialog:

"book1.mxl"

You don't mean to say xml rather than mxl?

Cliff Edwards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

oops yes i do mean XML... (it was getting late :) )

I do need the conversion too... i am trying to test uploading of data to a
DataBase
it will accept xml, but also accepts txt, cvs (whatever that is) ---but
everything i have tried fails
i spent several hours downloading several trial versions as i said... some
do some form of conversion, but when i try up-loading, i get the
auto-response "file empty or not in a recognised format"

anouther program took almost an hour to download - with all the other
extensions and software that is automatically downloaded to - though i never
requested it -- 10 minutes later i uninstalled it all - as it advertises
"converts excel to xml" but will not allow you to open an excel file ---
others, the company that sells it - gives it it's own extention .st for
soft touch -- their company name -- helps me nothing.

i am a green novice with these things - it is the 1st time i am trying
anything like this -- but i need to get it working --- for to manually enter
37,000 dogs to a Db - will take some doing -- so i am wasting many hours to
try save a million more

regards

"ward376" wrote:

Do you just want the extension .mxl, or do you need the file converted
to another format? If you just want the extension just enclose your
filename in double quotes in the save as dialog:

"book1.mxl"

You don't mean to say xml rather than mxl?

Cliff Edwards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're using xl 2003 or greater, you should be able to just saveas
either an xml spreadsheet or xml data. See the dropdown beside Save As
Type.

Cliff Edwards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OH WOW..
I CAN

didn't even think to look there (as i do with ms word)

thanks Cliff
now here is hoping that it will import for me as i need it to