Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLOOKUP question

In Excel I have a list of names of all users (list1) , and also a list of
other names (list2). I have to compare who from the list2 is on the list1.How
to do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are the name spellings consistant? If you need to do a simple compare, use a
COUNTIF to compare. Anything with a count 0 is on the other list. If you
need to compare and then pull in addtional data, use a VLOOKUP paired with an
IF(ISERROR) combo.
--
Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications
http://www.kan.org/tips

"Eugen" wrote:

In Excel I have a list of names of all users (list1) , and also a list of
other names (list2). I have to compare who from the list2 is on the list1.How
to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say your lists are on Sheet1 and sheet2 in column A.

You could put a formula in B1 of sheet1 to check to see if the entry in A1 is in
Sheet2 column A:

=isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0))
and drag down.

Same kind of thing with B1 of sheet2:
=isnumber(match(a1,sheet1!a:a,0))

You may want to look at Chip Pearson's site. He has lots of techniques to work
with duplicates:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

Eugen wrote:

In Excel I have a list of names of all users (list1) , and also a list of
other names (list2). I have to compare who from the list2 is on the list1.How
to do that?

--

Dave Peterson