Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default The letter "b" appears after the dollar sign

I formatted a column as "Accounting" and selected the standard "$"
symbol; the first one on the list.
For some reason the all the affected cells show the letter "b"
immediately following the dollar sign.
If I switch to a regional dollar, say, Canadian, the "b" does not
appear.

Been using Excel for a long time but I've never seen this before.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:59:31 -0700 (PDT), Fellow wrote:

I formatted a column as "Accounting" and selected the standard "$"
symbol; the first one on the list.
For some reason the all the affected cells show the letter "b"
immediately following the dollar sign.
If I switch to a regional dollar, say, Canadian, the "b" does not
appear.

Been using Excel for a long time but I've never seen this before.

Any ideas?

For some reason, it appears as if your Accounting selection may be defaulting
to the Bolivian $.

If you right click the cell
Format Cells/Number
Accounting
Check what is in the "Symbol" line
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Aug 5, 2:28*pm, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:59:31 -0700 (PDT), Fellow wrote:
I formatted a column as "Accounting" and selected the standard "$"
symbol; the first one on the list.
For some reason the all the affected cells show the letter "b"
immediately following the dollar sign.
If I switch to a regional dollar, say, Canadian, the "b" does not
appear.

Been using Excel for a long time but I've never seen this before.

Any ideas?

For some reason, it appears as if your Accounting selection may be defaulting
to the Bolivian $.

If you right click the cell
* * * * Format Cells/Number
* * * * Accounting
* * * * * * * * Check what is in the "Symbol" line
--ron

Ron, read my post... I'm selecting the default dollar symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Aug 5, 11:58*pm, Fellow wrote:
[...]

Sorry, that was a bit sharp of me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 20:58:31 -0700 (PDT), Fellow wrote:

Ron, read my post... I'm selecting the default dollar symbol.

I did. There are several ways of selecting the Accounting method and it was
not clear from your post whether you were using the one I described.

What version of Excel?
What country are you in?

Please do the following.

1. Select an affected cell (showing $b)
2. Right click on the cell
Format cells
Number
Custom

Select the contents of the Type: box and paste the results here.

Also, go to

Start/Control Panel/Regional and Language Options
Regional Options tab
What Language (country) shows?
Copy the contents of the currency box and paste the results
here.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Aug 6, 7:08*am, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
[...]

Well, I'll be!
I started Excel again and now the problem is gone...
If it starts up again I'll paste the custom format in here like you
asked.

In any case, my region was set to USA (oops— new computer) and is now
set to Canada (Ahhhh, better). The currency is set correctly in either
case.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:30:08 -0700 (PDT), Fellow wrote:

Well, I'll be!
I started Excel again and now the problem is gone...
If it starts up again I'll paste the custom format in here like you
asked.

In any case, my region was set to USA (oops— new computer) and is now
set to Canada (Ahhhh, better). The currency is set correctly in either
case.

Thanks for your help!

Well, the format you described "$b" is one that is used by Excel. The
question was how it got there. Obviously a moot point for now.

Glad it's working.
--ron