Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookup unsorted list

I have a very simple two column list. Col-A is "Products" col-B is "Date
Purchase". Col-A is un-sorted and various products are repeated several
times. I want a lookup formula that would tell me the most recent date when a
particular product was purchased.

If col-A was sorted ascending, I could use
=LOOKUP(1E+100,INDEX(A2:B8,MATCH(A12,A2:A8,1),0)). Can someone please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A20=C1),B1:B20)

Where C1 is the item you are looking up.

Mike

"why-J" wrote:

I have a very simple two column list. Col-A is "Products" col-B is "Date
Purchase". Col-A is un-sorted and various products are repeated several
times. I want a lookup formula that would tell me the most recent date when a
particular product was purchased.

If col-A was sorted ascending, I could use
=LOOKUP(1E+100,INDEX(A2:B8,MATCH(A12,A2:A8,1),0)). Can someone please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:22:01 -0700, why-J
wrote:

I have a very simple two column list. Col-A is "Products" col-B is "Date
Purchase". Col-A is un-sorted and various products are repeated several
times. I want a lookup formula that would tell me the most recent date when a
particular product was purchased.

If col-A was sorted ascending, I could use
=LOOKUP(1E+100,INDEX(A2:B8,MATCH(A12,A2:A8,1),0)) . Can someone please help.

Try this formula:
(Note: This is an array formula that has to be confirmed with
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER)

=MAX((A2:A8=A12)*(B2:B8))

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This formula relies on that column B is sorted with increasing dates
Of that we know nothing I think.

Lars-Åke

"why-J" wrote:

I have a very simple two column list. Col-A is "Products" col-B is "Date
Purchase". Col-A is un-sorted and various products are repeated several
times. I want a lookup formula that would tell me the most recent date when a
particular product was purchased.

If col-A was sorted ascending, I could use
=LOOKUP(1E+100,INDEX(A2:B8,MATCH(A12,A2:A8,1),0)). Can someone please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

It doesn't rely on that and will work with either/both columns
sorted/unsorted. Have you tried it?

Mike

"Lars-Ã…ke Aspelin" wrote:

This formula relies on that column B is sorted with increasing dates
Of that we know nothing I think.

Lars-Ã…ke

"why-J" wrote:

I have a very simple two column list. Col-A is "Products" col-B is "Date
Purchase". Col-A is un-sorted and various products are repeated several
times. I want a lookup formula that would tell me the most recent date when a
particular product was purchased.

If col-A was sorted ascending, I could use
=LOOKUP(1E+100,INDEX(A2:B8,MATCH(A12,A2:A8,1),0)). Can someone please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This returns the second instance, not the last

wrote:

I have a very simple two column list. Col-A is "Products" col-B is "Date
Purchase". Col-A is un-sorted and various products are repeated several
times. I want a lookup formula that would tell me the most recent date when a
particular product was purchased.

If col-A was sorted ascending, I could use
=LOOKUP(1E+100,INDEX(A2:B8,MATCH(A12,A2:A8,1),0)) . Can someone please help.

Try this formula:
(Note: This is an array formula that has to be confirmed with
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER)

=MAX((A2:A8=A12)*(B2:B8))

Hope this helps / Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes I did try it.
My interpretation of "the most recent date" is the date with the
highest value, not the date placed on the highest row number.

Lars-Åke

"why-J" wrote:

I have a very simple two column list. Col-A is "Products" col-B is "Date
Purchase". Col-A is un-sorted and various products are repeated several
times. I want a lookup formula that would tell me the most recent date when a
particular product was purchased.

If col-A was sorted ascending, I could use
=LOOKUP(1E+100,INDEX(A2:B8,MATCH(A12,A2:A8,1),0)). Can someone please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My interpretation of "the most recent date" is the date with the
highest value, not the date placed on the highest row number.
The most recent date may be placed on any row I guess.

Lars-Åke