Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KC KC is offline

Default Lookup Formula - I think?

I have a tab called Status with one column with unique numbers in column B.
On my 2nd tab called Triple, the column headings are all the same as on the
Status tab. What I'd like to do, is on the Triple tab, if I type in one of
the unique numbers from the Status tab, I'd like all the information on that
row, populated on the Triple Tab.

So, for instance, if Status tab B12 says 5512 and on the Triple tab in cell
B2 I type 5512, I want all the information that is already populated on the
Status tab row 12, to be populated in the Triple tab row 2.

I thought maybe a lookup formula might work, but its not. So maybe I'm
going about this all wrong. Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See this short video:

http://contextures.com/xlVideos08.html#VLookup01

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"KC" wrote in message
I have a tab called Status with one column with unique numbers in column B.
On my 2nd tab called Triple, the column headings are all the same as on
the
Status tab. What I'd like to do, is on the Triple tab, if I type in one
of
the unique numbers from the Status tab, I'd like all the information on
that
row, populated on the Triple Tab.

So, for instance, if Status tab B12 says 5512 and on the Triple tab in
cell
B2 I type 5512, I want all the information that is already populated on
the
Status tab row 12, to be populated in the Triple tab row 2.

I thought maybe a lookup formula might work, but its not. So maybe I'm
going about this all wrong. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

in B12, you would type your 5512....

Then in C12
=VLOOKUP(B12,Status!$B$2:$H$1000,2,FALSE)

expand your table ($B$2:$H$1000) as necessary, and change the column
reference (2) as necessary.

Currently, this would pull the data in your Status tab from cell C12 (column
2 of the table $b$2:$h$1000)
--
John C

"KC" wrote:

I have a tab called Status with one column with unique numbers in column B.
On my 2nd tab called Triple, the column headings are all the same as on the
Status tab. What I'd like to do, is on the Triple tab, if I type in one of
the unique numbers from the Status tab, I'd like all the information on that
row, populated on the Triple Tab.

So, for instance, if Status tab B12 says 5512 and on the Triple tab in cell
B2 I type 5512, I want all the information that is already populated on the
Status tab row 12, to be populated in the Triple tab row 2.

I thought maybe a lookup formula might work, but its not. So maybe I'm
going about this all wrong. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sheet5, starting in B1 I have
1 cat apple
2 dog pear
3 horse plum
4 donkey apricot

On Sheet4 in A1 I entered 3
In B1 I have =VLOOKUP($A$1,Sheet5!$B$1:$D$4,COLUMN()-1,0)
This is copied to D1
Row 1 now shows
3 3 horse plum

Any use?
Please: your workbook contains WORKSHEETS, while TABS are the things you
click to open a worksheet
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"KC" wrote in message
I have a tab called Status with one column with unique numbers in column B.
On my 2nd tab called Triple, the column headings are all the same as on
the
Status tab. What I'd like to do, is on the Triple tab, if I type in one
of
the unique numbers from the Status tab, I'd like all the information on
that
row, populated on the Triple Tab.

So, for instance, if Status tab B12 says 5512 and on the Triple tab in
cell
B2 I type 5512, I want all the information that is already populated on
the
Status tab row 12, to be populated in the Triple tab row 2.

I thought maybe a lookup formula might work, but its not. So maybe I'm
going about this all wrong. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KC KC is offline

John, thanks for the help. The formula you gave me below works. One more
question though, if some of the fields are empty, the formula gives me a
result of #N/A....is there something that I can add to the formula so it will
not display anything if the cell is blank?

"KC" wrote:

I have a tab called Status with one column with unique numbers in column B.
On my 2nd tab called Triple, the column headings are all the same as on the
Status tab. What I'd like to do, is on the Triple tab, if I type in one of
the unique numbers from the Status tab, I'd like all the information on that
row, populated on the Triple Tab.

So, for instance, if Status tab B12 says 5512 and on the Triple tab in cell
B2 I type 5512, I want all the information that is already populated on the
Status tab row 12, to be populated in the Triple tab row 2.

I thought maybe a lookup formula might work, but its not. So maybe I'm
going about this all wrong. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the cell is empty on Status, it should display 0, not #N/A. The example I
gave only covers 7 columns (B through H), so if you have more than 7 columns
of data, be sure to widen the base. If you are copying the formula across,
you may want to first 'anchor' the lookup value, so your formula would start
off like

=VLOOKUP($B12, .....
this way the column B remains the same (as it is the constant that you are
basing all of your lookups on).
--
John C