Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default splitting my cell

hey all
i have a cell like the following:
1|2

can someone please show me how to put the 1 and the 2 in 2 separate columns?

thanks,
rodchar
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Try Data Text to Columns Delimited (type the separator*: |)
*Press Shift + Backslash key
--
Max
Singapore
"rodchar" wrote:
hey all
i have a cell like the following:
1|2

can someone please show me how to put the 1 and the 2 in 2 separate columns?

thanks,
rodchar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=LEFT(A1,FIND("|",A1)-1)
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("|",A1))

You can simplify the formulae if you know the number of characters either
side of the | character.
--
David Biddulph

"rodchar" wrote:
hey all
i have a cell like the following:
1|2

can someone please show me how to put the 1 and the 2 in 2 separate
columns?

thanks,
rodchar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc