Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Decimal points data not displaying as expected

When entering the following number in Excel it doesn't display correctly
either in the cell or the formula bar -

Cell is formatted as Number with 9 decimal points.

I enter this number: 287488758463.904876
Cell displays: 287488758463.905000000
Formula Bar displays: 287488758463.905

How can I get it to display exactly what is typed into the cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel has a 15 digit limit on numeric precision.

Preface the entry with an apostrophe.

You won't be able to do calculations but your data will be displayed as you
wish.

For more on Excel limits etc. se help on "specifications"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:54:15 -0700, g. spence
wrote:

When entering the following number in Excel it doesn't display correctly
either in the cell or the formula bar -

Cell is formatted as Number with 9 decimal points.

I enter this number: 287488758463.904876
Cell displays: 287488758463.905000000
Formula Bar displays: 287488758463.905

How can I get it to display exactly what is typed into the cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By using an apostrophe, the cell data goes from being a number to a
string, therefore in order to use the cell for caculations, you must
revert the cell information back to a number from the string
afterwards. In VBA this is done by using val(string).

wrote:
When entering the following number in Excel it doesn't display correctly
either in the cell or the formula bar -

Cell is formatted as Number with 9 decimal points.

I enter this number: 287488758463.904876
Cell displays: 287488758463.905000000
Formula Bar displays: 287488758463.905

How can I get it to display exactly what is typed into the cell?- $B0zMQ%F%-%9%H$rI=<($7$J$$(B -

- $B0zMQ%F%-%9%H$rI=<((B -