Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Column chart not displaying some data points - Excel 2003

I'm trying to create a column chart out of data that looks like this:

x-axis y-axis
1/3/06 300
1/9/06 600
1/31/06 250
2/23/06 1000
3/12/06 50
3/22/06 450

....and so on. The number of data points per month varies. I'm using 1-Month
units in the scale of my x-axis, so my Jan. column should read 1150, Feb.
should be 1000, Mar. should be 500, etc. Problem is, Excel omits some of the
data points, so the Jan. column says 900, and Mar. says 50. But on some other
months, it counts all the data points in the month and shows the correct
total for the month.

I've tried column, stacked column, line, and XY charts, but the data points
remain missing. I've rechecked my numbers, dates, cell formats, also to no
avail.

I hope you can help. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you. I was wondering if there's a way to create the graph without
adding more columns to the right of the data, since I already have some other
data there.

I seem to remember Excel 97 automatically figured out which data points
belonged in which month, and set up the graph accordingly.

Don Burgess

"Don Guillett" wrote:

suggest you make another table with
month total for month
Jan =SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(C2:C7)=1)*D2:D7)
etc
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel 97 was no smarter than Excel 2003. Insert a few blank columns to make
room for Don's suggestion. Five minutes spent with the data will save five
hours of finagling.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP