Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Paste from Word table into Excel

I have a very simple table in Word that I need to get into Excel. It seemed
very easy to just cut and paste.
Here's the problem, one column of information is an identification number
fomratted like
1-00
4-03
5-01
Excel is interpreting this as a date. I thought I could choose paste values
to avoid the conversion but it is grayed out. If I choose paste special,
Excel recognizes the source (I guess) and I get to choose from a short list
of things rather than what I am accustom to seeing when I choose paste
special.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did that.
I get
36526
39541
39569

Thanks!

"leezard" wrote:

I have a very simple table in Word that I need to get into Excel. It seemed
very easy to just cut and paste.
Here's the problem, one column of information is an identification number
fomratted like
1-00
4-03
5-01
Excel is interpreting this as a date. I thought I could choose paste values
to avoid the conversion but it is grayed out. If I choose paste special,
Excel recognizes the source (I guess) and I get to choose from a short list
of things rather than what I am accustom to seeing when I choose paste
special.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, this is what I did to get it to work:

Copy your Word table
Right click at Excel destination and choose paste special
Choose "Text"
With the Paste Options thing click "Use Text Import Wizard"
Click Next
Check "Tab"
Click Next
Under Column data format click "Text"
Click Finish.

Should work!
--
-SA

"leezard" wrote:

Did that.
I get
36526
39541
39569

Thanks!

"leezard" wrote:

I have a very simple table in Word that I need to get into Excel. It seemed
very easy to just cut and paste.
Here's the problem, one column of information is an identification number
fomratted like
1-00
4-03
5-01
Excel is interpreting this as a date. I thought I could choose paste values
to avoid the conversion but it is grayed out. If I choose paste special,
Excel recognizes the source (I guess) and I get to choose from a short list
of things rather than what I am accustom to seeing when I choose paste
special.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using the steps you listed. When I choose "Text", the data pastes into
Excel. I can not find anything that resembles "With the Paste Options thing
click "Use Text Import Wizard"".
Thanks for your help.

"StumpedAgain" wrote:

OK, this is what I did to get it to work:

Copy your Word table
Right click at Excel destination and choose paste special
Choose "Text"
With the Paste Options thing click "Use Text Import Wizard"
Click Next
Check "Tab"
Click Next
Under Column data format click "Text"
Click Finish.

Should work!
--
-SA

"leezard" wrote:

Did that.
I get
36526
39541
39569

Thanks!

"leezard" wrote:

I have a very simple table in Word that I need to get into Excel. It seemed
very easy to just cut and paste.
Here's the problem, one column of information is an identification number
fomratted like
1-00
4-03
5-01
Excel is interpreting this as a date. I thought I could choose paste values
to avoid the conversion but it is grayed out. If I choose paste special,
Excel recognizes the source (I guess) and I get to choose from a short list
of things rather than what I am accustom to seeing when I choose paste
special.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm using Excell 2003 so it may be slightly different if you're using a
different version. The "Paste Options thing" I was refering to is the past
options that shows up after pasting in teh bottom right of the paste area.
If you paste, a little tab shows up and gives you a number of options to
choose from (formatting options, etc.). This is where you choose "Text
Import Wizard"

--
-SA

"StumpedAgain" wrote:

OK, this is what I did to get it to work:

Copy your Word table
Right click at Excel destination and choose paste special
Choose "Text"
With the Paste Options thing click "Use Text Import Wizard"
Click Next
Check "Tab"
Click Next
Under Column data format click "Text"
Click Finish.

Should work!
--
-SA

"leezard" wrote:

Did that.
I get
36526
39541
39569

Thanks!

"leezard" wrote:

I have a very simple table in Word that I need to get into Excel. It seemed
very easy to just cut and paste.
Here's the problem, one column of information is an identification number
fomratted like
1-00
4-03
5-01
Excel is interpreting this as a date. I thought I could choose paste values
to avoid the conversion but it is grayed out. If I choose paste special,
Excel recognizes the source (I guess) and I get to choose from a short list
of things rather than what I am accustom to seeing when I choose paste
special.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank You...that worked great! I did not notice the paste options that show
up after the paste.

"StumpedAgain" wrote:

OK, this is what I did to get it to work:

Copy your Word table
Right click at Excel destination and choose paste special
Choose "Text"
With the Paste Options thing click "Use Text Import Wizard"
Click Next
Check "Tab"
Click Next
Under Column data format click "Text"