Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Drop-down list with Lookup function?

Can someone please tell me if this is possible?

What I want to do is have a drop-down list, but when you choose a value from
the list, it inputs the value from another list.

for example, if I have the two lists from columns B and C, can I have the
drop-down list have the values in column B, but when you choose the value, it
inputs the value from column C?

If I choose 3 from the drop-down list, I want it to show C in the cell.

A B C
1 1 A
2 2 B
3 3 C

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The short answer is no. Even if you could I would recommend against it as it
would be rather disconcerting if you choose one thing and another thing shows
up. Let the drop down show what was choosen and put the look up value in
another cell adjacent to the drop down would be my recommendation.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"jmc784" wrote:

Can someone please tell me if this is possible?

What I want to do is have a drop-down list, but when you choose a value from
the list, it inputs the value from another list.

for example, if I have the two lists from columns B and C, can I have the
drop-down list have the values in column B, but when you choose the value, it
inputs the value from column C?

If I choose 3 from the drop-down list, I want it to show C in the cell.

A B C
1 1 A
2 2 B
3 3 C

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the input Jim, I know it would be a little weird. It would be
used for generating a product number based on specifications (simple example:
height 12" = A, color red = 5, could generate product number A5)

But I will probably just use separate cells, then copy and paste the values.

Thanks,

-Jamie